Monitoring/Controlling GPU temp and fan speed?

Hello!

I finally decided to try linux and I'm starting to like it. But when I started playing I couldn't hear my gpu fans to speed up at all so I would like to know how I can control them and monitor GPU temperature.

I'm using Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 and proprietary drivers.
GPU ASUS R9 280X
MOBO ASUS Z97-A

I tried Psensor for temp monitoring but it doesn't show my GPU temp.

You can try running sudo detect-sensors, which will look for any sensor related kernel modules which have not been loaded. Or else you may have to install the proprietary AMD driver which should have the correct firmware for your sensors - located in the firmware-linux-nonfree package.

Make sure you downloaded psensor through the Ubuntu software centre as well, otherwise you will be missing dependencies such as lm-sensors

Thanks for answer!
Yes, psensor is downloaded using software centre.

But,
sudo detect-sensors: command not found.
And I'm already using proprietary drivers

Welcome! hope you have a fun ride on the wild penguin!

Since you are on gnome, you can use this extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/841/freon/

Sorry, sudo sensors-detect. Watch for the lines it wishes to add to /etc/modules at the end of the program. Most hwmonitoring software on Linux uses the lm-sensors libraries so they will all have the same issue unfortunately. If lm-sensors still does not detect the temp sensors(s) then you can try manually loading the kernel module

Thanks!
I hope I can fix this problem and keep using ubuntu.

But same problem no GPU temp.

Whar does lspci show?

lspci:

• ls = list
  • pci = pci devices.

So list all pci devices (connected to a pci bus).

Sorry, yes I can understand how my post would have been interpreted that way, but I was asking OP to post the return of lspci - evidently poorly worded

ahahah whoops! :D

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev d0)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family Z97 LPC Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series]
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 04)
05:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs SB Recon3D (rev 01)

I thought AMD may have done it directly through PCI but it appears they don't. So sensors-detect was fruitless? Have you tried using the AMD driver config? Something like aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt

That does the trick for temp! Huge thanks.

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 50"

And with that I'm able to manually set my fan speed. Good enough for me atm. No need to use windows for gaming :)

Once again, Thanks!

You will not regret it ;)