Monitor goes briefly black during CS2 gameplay on L1KVM

Hi all,

I’ve just got a 2 monitor 5Gbit kvm from level 1 and it’s working great between my computers when not gaming.

Problem is: whenever I go to CounterStrike 2, the monitor goes black from time to time for a couple of seconds. I’ve tried restarting the KVM and the computer. Updated the drivers and windows, but nothing really helped. I ended up just going back to connect the cable directly to the computer, and it works flawlessly.

Any ideas of what might be happening?

Thanks

EDIT: I realize that maybe the cable could be the culprit? Just ordered a new RUIPRO fibre DisplayPort cable, let’s hope that helps.

Likely cables. The gpu sees not just one but both cables on either side of the kvm as if it is one long cable. Try a different dp output on your GPU as different GPU outputs have a little variance and you are really close on the output you’re on now.

1 Like

Alright, this is odd. Got a new “premium” cable from RUIPRO today and it won’t even show anything when plugged via the KVM. Directly it works great. - I’ll return it for now.
Found another one that sells in Canada. I’ll order and test again. Hopefully I’ll have more luck.
Here’s the cable that doesn’t work:
[RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 15 feet Light High Speed Support 32.4 Gbps 8K60HZ DP1.4 Slim and Flexible with Optic Technology (8K_05M)RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 15 feet Light High Speed Support 32.4 Gbps 8K60HZ DP1.4 Slim and Flexible with Optic Technology (8K_05M)]
5M/15Ft

If it’s truly an optical cable it has directionality. Source goes at PC side, display goes at kvm side?
Lot of the time those don’t output much signal so you’d have to use them in pairs. Club3d is generally a good brand . . .

2 Likes

Yeah, it had labels and I used it like this:
PC (Source) → (Display) KVM (Source) → (Display) Display
Only when removing the KVM from the equation the cables worked. It was 2 of the same optical cable.

I’ll try getting Club3d cables and report back. Just checking, should it work for 5120 x 1440 @ 144Hz? I’ll google as well, just got curious if maybe it’s the monitor.

EDIT: NVM, I’m using it on my macbook just fine on that resolution. But it won’t work on my Windows PC connected to my 3070 TI. That’s odd.

UPDATE: Got the club3d cable: Club 3D CAC-2068 DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 Cable DP 1.4 8K 60Hz.
Seems to do what I need, hopefully it’ll be good enough.

UPDATE-2: Just installed the club3d cable, seems to be working just fine! I’ll keep testing and report back if anything changes! CABLES CABLES CABLES! :slight_smile:

UPDATE-3: Seems like I have spoken too soon. The blinking is definitely more sparce, but it does happen from time to time still. I’ll try and troubleshoot more as it feels too weird to have this happen even with cables that seem to be ‘good enough’. I will report back on any news.

Hi! I believe things have settled a bit more at this point. The blinking is almost not happening anymore. After lots of tests and checking everything I could, I have found that the 3rd Display port of my graphics card works best. It will only every other gaming session only once. It’s acceptable enough for now.

This does beg the question on the difference between the cables/ports on the graphics card and how it is behaving. I will keep troubleshooting, but for now I’d consider this “solved”…? :laughing:

Jokes aside, this KVM is great! I just wish my keyboard and mouse could use the HID ports and send out commands to hide the KVM completely and have less cables on my desk. Thanks a bunch!