Modifying Refresh Rate at a Hardware Level

Is it possible to somehow replace the internals of a monitor with the PCB or whatever of a monitor that has a higher native refresh rate?

I need a monitor that has native 10 bit color depth (no 8 bit+FRC crap) and a VA panel for high contrast but also a high refresh rate for gaming. I want to avoid having 2 separate monitors if possible. Any size and resolution will do.

All native 10 bit/High RR displays I’ve found have IPS panels, which have terrible contrast. All native 10 bit/High Contrast displays I’ve found are VA panels which have a native 60hz refresh rate.

Usually the refresh rate is limited by one of two things. The panel itself and the IC that drives it.

They usually get the specs within the safe limits of whatever is the bottleneck.

So… Not really possible.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen several monitors within the same product lineup that have varying refresh rates, like Asus’ ProArt series. Wouldn’t it be possible to replace the internals of monitor with another if they’re within the same series?

sometimes but not all the time. if you switch the screen and driver it should fit the housing of one another given= screen size. but just like phones some will work with different screens with out issue other will freak out with an improper display on the same board. ( aka its a crap shoot if you switch the driver for different panels. i might work but usually the screen will freak. )

Is there some sort of guide I can follow to try this out? Where do I go to learn more about these things?

you would have to find the part numbers for everything. then lots of digging to find what else it is used with modes of the part ETC…
with out part numbers you will be looking for a needle in the middle of an ocean.

1 Like

Some monitors (in my experience the older AOC IPS and Dell Ultrasharp) don’t lock the refresh rate, so you can try your luck - creating custom resolution in nVidia/AMD control panel and setting it to higher refresh rates.

Note, this may or may not break your display.

I had AOC 2367 and Ultrasharp 2312h run fine at 70-75Hz long term, but they would show artifacts like vertical lines at higher rates or just blank out.

Pretty sure you won’t get anything over 80Hz on 60Hz panels, but who knows, may be worth a try.

Yes, it is possible but not with every monitor.

Zisworks has some of those.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.