Modify a Nvidia A100 GPU to work in a regular desktop?

Hello, I recently got my hands on a A100 PCIe 80GB. I would like to build a workstation which is compatible with it or buy a workstation that’s compatible with it. Can someone please help me with all the required PC components and a setup guide to configure the A100. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

the a100 is a pci-e device/graphics card so will go in any pc that has a pci-e slot.
the only real caveat is pci-e 4 would be best.

so
do you want amd or intel?.
swings and roundabouts for some things but not others.

do you want a “REAL” workstation or save some money and go with enthusiast/gaming grade parts.)

if your thinking of buying then somewhere like Puget systems might be able to ship to you… they aint cheap by any means.

if your willing to build yourself. then the best thing you can do is watch a few of wendells video’s on level1linux on youtube.

reason im saying go here and watch is … a workstation while it can be flexible…
often isnt. so what your gonna do with it will likely dictate the parts you should use.
especially around cpu core count and memory capacity.
its pointless getting a motherboard that supports 2tb of ram if your only ever gonna populate it with 128 gigs.

so yeah… give a couple of his vids a look and you may get a better idea of what you need and how much its gonna cost…

then think how close you can get with gaming grade parts… for way less.

Be aware that it requires really strong cooling. Either you DIY a cooling solution (there are STL files for 3D printable shrouds out there), water cool it or stick it into a server chassis with appropriate high air flow (and noise)

1 Like

I run an A100 40gb along side an RTX A4000 in my lenovo workstation, andi just put a 3d printed fan shroud over end of it and then ducktaped the cooler on to cover any gaps for airflow, not the prettiest but it works

1 Like

Suitable power, for your entire package [A100 on its own will consume >300W easily]
Means of handling thermals, since made for a server [cooler is passive / HIGH airflow]
PCIe pass thru, with some other GPU, since the Axxx series are headless

Also be aware that the A100 uses an 8-pin eps power connector like a cpu would, so you will need an adapter for pcie power connectors if you don’t have one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.