Model M or other buckling s keyboard

Hi,

I have always loved the sound of keyboards from yesteryear and I am considering acquiring a buckling spring keyboard. Does anyone remember what keyboard the California DMV's used in the 90's? I recall the keyboard having F1-F24 instead of 1-12. Is the buckling spring immortality a trait unique to the model m's? Can I get a newer keyboard with springs and expect (roughly) the same experience? Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the availability of buckling springs. I would say a decent alternative would be green switches or stronger from cherry. Availability of them is scarce though.

You can check out this place though http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI0P46

I just found this on youtube. I would probably change the text on the f keys. Maybe not idk. It's nice to see one with some color though.

Skip to 1:10

What you are probably looking for is the PC122 from unicomp. Unicomp is the same as the model M, same factory even. Took over from lexmark who made them for IBM. http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/PC122 all the way to F24, these boards are the best keyboards you can buy in my opinion.

Not entirely related to the OP but I was wondering, is it just me that thinks of a geographic location every time they hear the term 'Buckling Springs'?

1 Like

Be careful if you go looking for a model M - do not DO NOT buy a terminal keyboard - they have a different connector and cannot be used with a standard pc.

I also looked into buying one recently but the prices - YIKES
$90 for a used one with cosmetic damage - or $140 for a used one with original box in very good condition (AUD not USD)
I'd rather grab a Ducky with greens for about the same price after postage costs are factored in.

You can buy brand new buckling spring keyboards in all black with a usb connector for around 30 USD. I already have a mx blues keyboard and I love it. I might get a green eventually but I'd need another comp to excuse it.

I would move there for a day just to change my ID

I was checking out those keyboards and I noticed the arrow keys have a friend. I can't make it out. What is that button? Also, do you know of any macro software that will let me map f13-24? I have a few different programs but they only go up to 12.

I have always wanted to try a buckling spring keyboard....

Get on that. If you enjoy keyboards they are worth a little investigating.

let me get back to you on the macro program, lots of options. the f-13 - f-24 are "shifted" http://support.pckeyboard.com/knowledgebase.php?article=52

you can use hot-key, macro, or keyboard mapping to do just about anything. the key in the arrows is home.

Tek Syndicate needs a logo'd unicomp!!! I own a PC-122 (5250) but I would buy another for one of my other systems, esp. if it could come with a matching mouse. hint hint

Is that even mathematically possible to allow so much awesome to be in the same place at the same time? Tek Unicomp and Tek gaming mouse with hella macro buttons? SEXYNESS! They would have to be made one set at a time and shipped out before another pair could exist in such close proximity.

I just checked out that 5250. OMG sooo good! Fix the arrow keys, put the Windows keys where they go, switch out the cord for usb and number the keys on the left (or leave them blank). Absolute perfection! Oh and fix the enter button.

I'll buy that shit right now!

you can buy ps2 or usb. unicomp will do custom keyboard orders for $10, i don't know exactly what that covers but you can chage out caps yourself and remap.

Aww snip! I just emailed [email protected] I got my fingers crossed.

also you will notice one of these keyboards behind wendell in his videos, i thinks his is modded somehow, don't remeber what it was...

Holy carp he totally does. Kudos to both of you on selecting sexy-ass keyboards. I definitely want one now. I asked if they could put this layout on a 5250. (Ignoring the macros)

The media buttons would make use of that big blank area on the top-right also.

what switches does it have?