Mobile speaker, old boomboxes vs new bluetooth audio

So I’m thinking about getting an mobile speaker I can easily get an LASONIC DTS-98K for ~40$ I really like how it sounds (and looks, I really like retro stuf), It have aux in and I have some spare baterries laying around to power it.
On the other hand my waifu is saying that I’m dump and It’s better to buy something like jbl charge 2/3 for ~120-150$ I really don’t like the whole bluetooth audio idea, but I dk about the sound of it.
Do anyone have their own comparasion of any mobile bluetooth speakers vs old ghetto blasters? I would really like to hear all pros and con’s of both of them. Also I’m open for recommendations for those kind of setups.

i didnt really get a grasp of your goal or the environment this needed. i have a Boombot that clips on my bag and is very loud if i turn it up. it has BT and aux. most days its my music from the time i wake all through my morning, clip to bag and on bike to where ever. Having this ive stopped using my stereo. room,shower,breakfast i just run around with it and clip and leave.

also it charges while still playing and i can get 2-4 days out of it before needing to charge.

EDIT: below
Pros: charges, wireless, hard to kill, has bass, portable, has clip,can turn off remotely by killing BT on device

Cons: BT range dependent on devices (phone limit ~20ft with walls), sometimes i dies while im in the shower im like “fook”, i can not figure out how to disassemble to replace battery in the future (I tried, with years of repair experience, its a puzzle), it makes stupid noises when turning on/off dis/connect , volume could be more granular (bike on 2/6 normal use 4/6 no need for the next two up)

sound is pretty subjective depending on tastes, if you can try finding other newer bluethooth speakers on display and test em out and compare it to the boombox, do it. also if the boombox has an aux in or cassette player, you can get a bluethooth adapter for the aux in from amazon, or a cassette tape with an aux cable attached to it to play music.

Older equipment will have more faults and parts are hard to find to fix em and keep them working for a long time. Never tried many bluetoothspeakers so I cant give any recommendations :man_shrugging:

@Venom415
your avatar is fucking awesome

1 Like

I go with The Wirecutter for things like this.

Bluetooth is much more convenient and sounds fine. It’s not like you’re going audiophile in a ghetto blaster anyway.