MLC MSATA Drive need, info Server Grade parts used/new

Hello, if anybody has tried used or keeps info around. I am looking for a MLC MSATA drive, fastest and reliable. basiclly i bought the new Atomos ninja ultra, and they built a great new product at the wrong time. Samsung quit making 860 Pro SSD and all your left with, if you want all the boxes checked, with atomos, is Angelbird or Sony. and there drives have that Apple Tax and are insane. Ebay prices on 860 Pro are out of hand also, i did score a 1tb for under $200 used, with low use. So i figure there should be some server grade drives out there, that are overlooked. Please Help Thank You!

There might be some models, but not much in enteprise server segment, as there is little use for sata ssd beyond retrofitting and even less for msata.

Best you can get there is supermicro satadom and satadom like products, but do not expect good performance out of them.

They are just there to provide alternative to sdcard boot disk setups, that has been abandoned.

You will be better off looking in embedded,rugged or industrial sector, but prices will be very high.

What is use case, and why does it call for MLC and msata form factor?

is about only option left, since Samsung quit making 860 pro drives.

this is a list of drives, to get 95% of features you need samsung drives.
or pay the crazy cost to angelbird.

Unfortunately that angelbird asking price is not that inflated after all.

As I understand it, you are sourcing replacement drive for this camera system,where :

• form factor is set (SATA 2,5’)
  • interface is set (SATA)
  • target workload is write heavy and write intesive with known and critical minimal levels ( MLC is a must, TLC drives will not sustain performance long enough)

Samsung 870 PRO 1 TB model entered market in 2018 and stayed around 520 USD for a year and the stabilized around 300-400 USD till discontinuation of sales in 2022. (21% VAT included)

So 480 USD vat included for specialty (MLC) and certified use case ssd isnt bad price at all.

You are unlikely get significantly lower price, outside of used gear. I can see only samsung 860 PRO drives on ebay, and prices currently as follows:

yeh i know all thes factors before i came here, asking for knowledge of products, that i might have not known about/missed. since this is a more server grade components community. thanks for nothing! i been on ebay well before i came here, and have all those factors, and your quoting MSRP From years ago! I thought there was more advnced knowledge here? But i guess NOT! am i talking/replying to CHAT GPT! Good Day!

Then you already know everything you need to, no?

Ebay or angelbird.

2 Likes