MIPS Starts RISC-V CPU Development, Waves Goodbye to the MIPS architecture

Wow, I didn’t think they would give up on the MIPS architecture.

They’re going “All-In” on RISC-V.

1 Like

Has MIPS been used in anything but microcontrollers and low-power embedded in the last 20 years?

1 Like

The PlayStation 1
The Nintendo 64
Tesla Model S

https://www.mips.com/blog/five-most-iconic-devices-to-use-mips-cpus/

2 Likes

Man, I just started a CPU design course at Uni a couple of weeks ago studying the MIPS ISA… Obsolete already I guess.

1 Like

You can tell them the professors to jump ship to RISC-V

That is mandatory for me, feels like a good use of time now…

the architecture is still among the most popular in the industry. It is widely used for various microcontrollers, consumer electronics SoCs, communication equipment, and a variety of low-power devices. Hundreds of millions of such products are sold every year

Uhhh, yeah, I can see why they’d want to put an immediate stop to that…

Sounds a lot like Burger King becoming a pizzeria.

More like, wow I didn’t know MIPS were actually still around.

Studying an arch doesn’t just become pointless if it is obsolete or no longer frequently used.

When I was in uni we studied the 68HC11 and 68k, even 68k was on the way out at the time, and 68xx (as in 6800, not 68k, which is what the 68HC11 was) had been obsolete for a decade or more at that point.

Simpler CPU arch is easier to learn the fundamentals of :slight_smile:

1 Like

On that list, only the Tesla Model S came out after the year 2000. So, yes, it has been used in recent products but not many :stuck_out_tongue:

Psp…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.