Minisforum MS-S1 MAX vs GMKtec EVO-X2 vs Framework Desktop (AMD Ryzen™ AI Max+ 395)

,

Minisforum is finally launching AMD Ryzen™ AI Max+ 395 featured mini PC with 2x10GbE and PCEIx16 (for this, I believe, they reduced the bandwidth of the second NVMe SSD speed from x4 to x1). It will be interesting to see the comparison of these two and what can be done with the PCEIx16 slot.

Will this launch be worth waiting for another 1-2 months? And what are the changes that someone will compare them?

Considering a common sentiment complaint for current Strix Halo offerings seemed to be a lack of 10GbE for such an expensive package, I expect it will be.

It’s also a halo product; I wonder what the availability and street price will look like.

I’m still waiting for an iteration of the chip with regular, slotted DDR5 myself.

Yeah lack of 10G on these seems like a massive oversight. Almost as if they were thinking “how can we cripple these for clustering”

So close yet so far.

3 Likes

I ordered the Minisforum MS-S1 on 31-Oct and received it today (12-Nov). UPS delivered locally, although the package originated via China Post. I did not have to pay any duty when the device arrived.

This workstation PC has 2x 10GbE network ports along with 2x USB 4v2. I don’t yet have an eGPU to connect, but may do so in the future with the AMD Radeon R9700 GPU. Will be focusing on initial setup and benchmarking first.

Hey does the ms-s1 ssd slot come with a cooler that can transfer to another ssd or should i get a m.2 with a preinstalled cooler?

I don’t think it came with heatsink, but some got the ms-s1 should verify this. But I asked minisforum that whether I should get m.2 SSD with and without heatsink, they replied in the line of ‘there js a enough air flow, no need for a heat shrink’. But if we can put m.2 SSD with heatsink, I would go with that.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.