Mini PC build

Hi guys, I'm interested in putting together an micro-ATX or mini-ITX build. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to putting together these kinds of things so I'd like to ask for some bit of help.

Parts that I'm salvaging from my current computer (going to sell the other stuff):
- CPU
- Power supply
- SSD
- Graphics card
- RAM (I have the intention of upgrading that down the line to 2x8gb sticks)

What I'm thinking about doing: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/x9NVyf

I'm a software developer who does some bit of gaming on Linux. I don't really need powerful graphics processing but a more powerful CPU is nice for some of the applications that I develop on. I have the intention of overclocking the CPU.

Thoughts? I'm a bit worried about how well it will fit.

The onlu thing that might be a concern is the PSU fitting. Im not familiar with that case but some ITX cases will only for smaller size or ITX size PSUs. Other than that I see no issue. You've got a water cooler for the GPU which is the best option. Maybe would want to go up to a dual fan radiator depending on your work loads.

What kind of case would be a safe bet for my power supply? Prodigy cases?

From Tom's Hardware page:

If you want to overclock, you need a stable and robust power regulation, and most h series boards lack of good VRMs, you can get a decent speed with the G3258 on cheap H81 boards because it doesnt require much power at all, but with a 4690k, well, thats another story. Is most likely that you'll choke those VRMs to death if you're able to overclock it with a h series board.

When I looked at PCpartpicker it says at the top in red letters that you have incompatibilities, that is the main purpose of PCpartpicker. You have to check if the specific mobo you choose can overclock that CPU. Even if it can work, it doesn't seem like a good idea to pair a 4790K with a H81 chipset.

As for mini-ITX cases, this is the one I like. It has good reviews and it's only $60. It fits any PSU or GPU, but it is tiny and hard to build in. The "classic" version has no window but has vent holes in the side panels.

I'm an artist so I pick based on looks first and then I make it work.

the phanteks enthoo mini itx works with your psu, althou i would suggest going micro atx so you can have a beefier vrm and overclock better.
something like the asus gene or gryphon armor edition for their vrms and uefi.

Before I get into changing this to a micro-atx, what kind of mini-itx chipset would do well for CPU overclocking? I'd like to exhaust the possibilities first as from what I can tell a micro-atx build is probably going to end up with a larger case with space for things I don't need.

You need a Z serie chipset to overclock with Intel (with of course a K CPU). So Z87 or Z97 for Haswell which is a 1150 socket. The chipset is the same whatever the size of the board.

I would recommend that configuration if you want ample cooling for overclocking no problem fitting your actual components. You would be able to put the radiator at the back, or top depending of what you want. (you can replace the motherboard for another one if you find a used Z97 or Z87 mitx motherboard)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VTLNjc

However, if you want the smallest case possible and still be able to watercool it, go with the Ncase M1. But you will need to replace your PSU for a SFX or SFX-L one.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3X8c7h

1 Like