Mini-ITX board for AM4?

Does anyone know, if there is a Mini-ITX motherboard already out/announced for AM4?

https://www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/BIOSTAR-Shows-Mini-ITX-AM4-Motherboard-AMD-Ryzen

From the complete lack of news from other manufacturers, I'm assuming they're holding off until the X300 chipset is released, but we'll see.

2 Likes

That Biostar board is the only one I've seen.

Somebody whowas at CES said that Asus and Gigabyte didn't want to commit any resources to mini-ITX before they saw good Ryzen sales.

1 Like

That is actually the main reason we see motherboard shortages. All brands were trying to minimize their losses from the Ryzen platform by just not producing many boards... Turns out now we have motherboard shortage, because Ryzen actually sells well.

Here is the thing... Ryzen is a SOC. The board for mITX will literally be wiring. Just wiring. All needed controllers are already on the chip. If you look at the block diagram of any AM4 board, you will see, that the main purpose of the X370 is extra connectivity. That is it. All else is directly wired to the CPU...

My point being, it will not be difficult to make the ITX board for Ryzen. Give them some time to fix the current issues they have and they will release an ITX boards in no time.
Just to add on the Biostar board - it have been delayed, because Biostar found some UEFI bug they are trying to fix in their Ryzen boards, so they are not releasing their boards yet.

5 Likes

I am wondering why they would make a X370 Mini-ITX board, since there is no second slot for SLI/CrossFire. The B-chipset would have been enough, but I guess this is all marketing (X must be better than B, obviously). ;-)

They aren't making x370 mini itx mobos. There is a chipset specifically for mini itx (and likely will be in some mATX boards too). It is a stripped down version of the x370, basically removing the functionality that you wouldn't be able to use with a miniITX baord anyway.

On the contrary...

1 Like

In fact Biostar mITX board has a chipset.Its above the pci-e slot.

Yeah that Biostar board is an odd one. X370 instead of X300. But they're first, that counts for something right? :)

Are there any other differences between the X- and B-chipset apart from CrossFire/SLI?

A general bandwidth...
X370 have 4x pci-e lanes to work with.
B350 have less, so less connectivity.
Keep in mind, that less connectivity means not 12 USB ports, but 10, 6 sata ports instead of 8, stuff like that. No user will ever suffer from having not enough USB ports and sata ports. If you do, you have chosen the wrong platform to begin with.
PS: the difference is SLI... B350 runs Crossfire.

1 Like

I found this page on AMD's website that goes into full details what is different between the chipsets.

Don't know why I didn't find this before :D

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/am4#2

PS: Seems like the X300 also doesn't have any USB 3.1 gen 2

Meaning the thing, that is natively supported by a controller in the CPU...

I think they should make a smaller form factor just for this reason. Is there a form factor that is smaller than ITX that still uses a desktop CPU?

1 Like

DTX does.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2356

I swear there was news about DTX when RyZen was announced, but I can't find the article anymore.

1 Like

I don't quite understand what you mean, can you explain that?

I need this in my life now.

1 Like

I know they have integrated USB 3.1 controller in the CPU...

It's gen1... Not gen2, so basically ignore my last post...

From what I can tell from their website (see the link in one of my previous posts) you only get USB 3.1 gen 2 with the non-SFF chipsets.

Well this makes me wonder, if I should stick with a SFF build, or actually go for a micro-ATX board which should be capable of that. On one hand, I would like to have the fastest IO possible, but then again in my everyday life I hardly saturate USB 3.0 :D

Are you really going to use and saturate gen2. Keeping in mind most every day peripherals and USB devices still use USB 2.0...

My point exactly...