Migration from hard drive to SSD

I have a Windows machine where the OS is installed on an SSD. I also have a hard drive installed and I’m looking to add an additional SSD and transfer the files from the hard drive to the new SSD. I don’t need to transfer the OS. I have some games, applications, and files stored on the hard drive. If I copy the files over to the new SSD and in Windows mount the SSD with the same drive letter, will that work?

Way back then up to the Win XP days, i think you could do this, just turn off the machine and remove the old HDD and put in on a different computer with the new formatted SSD and then transfer the files (or alternatively use any USB bootable live OS to do this on the same PC).

These days (Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11) I feel like some sort of registry key and UUID device IDs are stored in the OS itself and may break apps and cause errors in programs if you directly installed it on the “Drive D” and swapped it with an “identical” new one with your new SSD. You could try it today but you should test all the programs and games stored on the “new Drive D SSD” before you completely nuke the old HDD.

If it is just a simple file storage, you should be good to just copy.

2 Likes

What regulareel said sums it up pretty well.

Personally I would go for an Ubuntu USB live stick, and do the copy over the live USB (No need to install). The reason for this is that Windows will not let you transfer files that are in use, so this guarantees a quick transfer.

After the copy is done just reboot the computer, remove the USB and swap the drive letters. Then test everything and reinstall anything that needs to be reinstalled.

3 Likes

Thanks. I ended up using the feature in Steam where you can move the install location for the games. Go to properties, local files, and then move the folder. Super easy.

The other stuff I’ll probably just leave for now and move it over a little at a time. Thanks again.

3 Likes

For anyone else that finds this, by far the best way is to use robocopy!

The easy way for a Windows machine is to use the free for home use Macrum Reflect. Your SSD needs to be larger than your hard drive or at least large enough for the partition. You can get Windows to shrink the partition a little first if you have empty space. You install Reflect on Windows and attach the SSD. Reflect has a simple drive cloning process which is very reliable.

Once cloned then detach the HDD and it will boot on the SSD.