Migrating TrueNAS to Proxmox

I have been using TureNAS now for a couple of weeks, its great as storage of my media files much better than unraid which is worse and a paid service.

But my VM and containers (is there even any) experience has been lackluster also I have a 4x1TB NVMe RAIDZ2 Pool on a Asus Hyper m.2 card that has given me lots of trouble every second day the array is reporting as degraded and removing drives that are perfectly fine.

I was wondering is it possible for me to migrate the current trueNAS setup over to proxmox, I have the TrueNAS installed on an 120GB m.2 SATA, I know I can passthrough the HBA’s from proxmox to TrueNAS, I have good IMMOU on my threadripper motherboard.

How to make an image or something of the m.2 SATA drive and transfer the installation over to a proxmox VM I need help with ???

I much prefer Proxmox and my 8 Core threadripper is maxing out at 10-15% CPU Utilization and could be doing more than hosting my mediafiles and streaming to 2 plex clients?

1 Like

Why are the disks being rejected? Plus are there any messages in dmesg? (Also is this TrueNAS Core or Scale?).

I’d also check what temps your NVMe drives are running at. They might be overheating and causing the drop outs.

1 Like

I run TrueNAS in Proxmox with PCI passthrough and physical disk/LVM passthrough.
I don’t know how you could transfer the TrueNAS image in Proxmox. I mean you could make a qcow2 or bin image of the disk and try boot it, but who knows if it’ll work. I’d say just do a fresh TrueNAS install in Proxmox, and add all pools back (chose "Import an existing pool
").
Here is my VM config if it helps:

boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 28
cpu: host,flags=+pdpe1gb;+aes
hostpci0: 0000:04:00
hostpci1: 0000:01:00
memory: 16384
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1645479243
name: TrueNAS2
net0: virtio=5A:05:94:F9:01:21,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-123-disk-0,discard=on,size=32G,ssd=1
scsi2: /dev/ssd_blend/block,backup=0,discard=on,iothread=1,size=976768M,ssd=1
scsi3: /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Backup+_Hub_BK_NA9RH931-0:0,backup=0,iothread=1,size=10000831348224
scsi4: /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NAABMZ61-0:0,backup=0,iothread=1,size=10000831348224
scsi5: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_QVO_2TB_S4CYNF0N208017Z
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

You can run TrueNAS in ProxMox.
A new TrueNAS installation will import drives if it’s presented with them and you tell it to. Your ZFS storage can be trasnfered.

I would suggest you build a new ProxMox server (can be on USB drives) with the ZFS drives disconnected.
Then create a new TrueNAS VM and introduce it to the existing ZFS drives. Maybe by passing these through as drives or the controller card, what ever works.

TrueNAS will be able to figure this out and you’ll have your storage and files back online.

Ignore the ZFS in ProxMox, you don’t need it. Just give ProxMox some SSD drives for VMs. They don’t do well on HDD anyway so why bother.

Use your TrueNAS VM as your main file server just as you are now.
Use ProxMox for VMs and LXC and if you need docker run a VM that does Docker.

There is no clear migration path apart from keeping your ZFS drives as is and doing a new TrueNAS VM to hook up to them.

You might be able to use some drive cloning software in your VMs to make copies of your VMs.

TrueNAS does not provide everything and nether does ProxMox. I actually have two separate servers for this reason.

2 Likes

I regret going the truenas route, and wish I just went proxmox + podman.
Can I import my truenas zfs pool into proxmox?
I’m happy to re-setup container equivalents of my truenas apps

Yes totally.

The only thing to watch out for is if your TrueNAS has a newer version of ZFS than Proxmox (and you’ve got those features enabled on your pool). Though the latest release of Proxmox is running ZFS 2.1 (the latest major version), so that shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

This problem will likely continue with Proxmox. If ZFS on TrueNAS is ejecting disks and reports errors, so will ZFS with Proxmox. You may be lucky and the slightly different implementation for FreeBSD vs. Linux may solves the problem, but I wouldn’t count on it.