Migrating to Synology Directory Server from windows 2012 essentials?

Hi, I’m thinking of purchasing a synology ds923+, anyone done the following successfully plz…

1. add the ds923+ to active directory using the Synology Directory server app

2. promote the ds923+ to be the main directory server

3. switch off the old windows 2012 server (with the four windows 10/11 workstations using the synology for logging into the domain, having also moved over the shared and user folders)

Ta

Harry

Sounds like it’s using Sambe 4 internally. If you want to proceed with this, I’d recommend making a new Domain. Easier to test and less chance of issues.

Just be aware that if your Synology dies your Domain is basically dead. So I’d personally avoid it.

Windows server Essentials is basically single machine server for small businesses, so may not be an issue?

You can always pick up two Synology devices and do HA, I’ve never used it personally but if other Synology software is any indication, it should work fine.

Or three devices to have HA + offsite backup.

Disclamer:

I have and use two QNAP devices, three Synology devices and one TrueNAS DIY. My go to recommendation is Synology for SMBs and home/office stuff. Easy to use, reliable, and suburb feature set compared to QNAP. Lot’s of free super valuable software, like HA, Microsoft 365 backup, Google Business backup…

Not affiliated with any of these companies.

If you’re running Windows Server in a VM its at least easy to redeploy from backups. If your Synology dies, you need to buy a new unit - basically Vendor lock in.

Absolutely, ease of use vs freedom to do it your way.

Synology directory is based on Samba-ad-dc then that’s the other way around isn’t?

You can run another instance of sinology or a linux running the samba-ad-dc daemon to replicate and backup your directory while the Windows 2012 essentials directory blocks synchronization due to arbitrary license restrictions so if the server dies or gets corrupted you are screwed.

Don’t forget to demote the older server first it before powering it off, otherwise you’ll end up having problems and will have to run adsi edit to remove stale elements from the directory.