Migrating my own email server

First of all, apologies if it’s not the correct category; I could not find a more relevant one.

Right now I have my own mail-in-a-box server with about 8 email addresses that I use with my own domain. Things like [email protected], [email protected] etc.

I’m tired of managing my own server and I’d like to use an already existing email provider, however I don’t want to lose the multiple addresses that I have since they are used in multiple places and they help me organise everything.

Who would enable me to do so? I looked at Office 365, there is the exchange server but on a per-user basis, and I don’t want to pay 100USD a month for email addresses. What options are there?

Zoho is free when you use your own domain.

With certain eMail providers they let you use your own domain to send mails to their service. They have a really easy manual, where you have to just set a few records in your domain. It takes about 5 min.

I use

When i was looking for that i also encountered
mailbox.org

They both start at 1€ per month.
Which is imho more than enough for most people (1GB and up for mails).

This is probably true for mailbox.org also, at tutanota.com you can set a “catch all” for you domain. Then they send all mails send to [email protected] to your account. And via sorting rules you can then automaitcally sort them into a specific folder for hireme and foobar and so on.

Right now I have my own mail-in-a-box server with about 8 email addresses that I use with my own domain.

I do the same thing conceptually, but have a lot more addresses.

Mail In A Box, running a unique address for each account. That way, I can tell who’s responsible when my details get breeched or sold.

I went that route because I couldn’t find a single provider that was reliable and cost effective with as many aliases as I had.

Free webmail is aimed at end-users, and hosted mail tends to be aimed at business users. We’re kinda in the middle.

Tutanota’s Pro Tier is $60 annually and includes up to 20 aliases.

Kolab Now’s Group Manager pricing allows you to use your own domain and add users for about $1.15 per account per month.

StartMail’s Personal pricing includes up to 10 aliases, as well as unlimited disposable addresses (useful for combatting spam, but available for free from other services) for $59.95 annually.

All three are privacy-respecting providers, and Kolab Now’s software is open source so you can take it with you if you ever decide to leave them.

Unfortunately, a $4 a month VPS can host unlimited domains and unlimited aliases. It’s going to be really hard to keep that level of flexibility and be cheaper. But $100 a month for Office365 is certainly overkill.

$5-$20 a month is far more reasonable.

1 Like