Migrating data from HDD to SSD

Terve!
Currently I am working on a friend’s PC (he had a virus that made it unusable).
After restoring it I saw that the HDD had many rewritten sectors.
He got an SSD and I tried to use Samsungs migration tool to get the data to the SSD.
Unfortunately the tool freezes after about 1 minute and 400 MB transfered.
Now I thought about going Linux (I have an ubuntu setup to play around with) and using the disc direct command to transfer the data. But with my lack of experience and the failing state of the HDD I thought I’d ask about recommendations for command appendixes.
From what I remember Wendell talked about how you can tell the DD command to try a certain amount of times to read sectors it cannot read - therefore my question is: how should the command I use ideally look like?
P.S. I will have to dig up the command itself since I rarely use linux.
Thank you for any help.
Sayonara!
Shadow

TLDR: I have a potentially dying HDD and I’d like to transfer the data to an SSD before it fails (no corrupt data has been spotted yet). What should I add to the Disk Direct command?

1 Like

I always use Macrium Reflect free edition. Works fine. If you do it with DD be sure to correcty align partitions on the SSD so you don’t murder your performance.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

If cloning fails due to read errors, I wouldn’t keep trying. Just install your OS clean, mount the disk read-only, and copy over your data.

2 Likes

You can also try EaseUS Partition Master.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

The GUI writes a Linux script and when you apply the changes EaseUS boots into Linux, moves data about and then Reboots Windows.

2 Likes

Terve!
Thank you for your suggestion, I’ll look into it in a couple of hours.
Cloning doesn’t fail due to read errors - I’m not getting any error code at all, it’s just the App that freezes.
Sayonara!
Shadow

Terve!
Because I forgot how to quote stuff and reply to multiple people at once, I decided to make a separate response to thank you as well.
Sorry for the created bulk.
Sayonara!
Shadow

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with clonezilla, the last time I helped a buddy move his Windows 7 drive from HD to SSD.

I’d generally recommend just re-installing windows over cloning a boot drive since it can solve a lot of issues, but I get that sometimes you just don’t want to do that.

Zero issues for me with clonezilla. Its a free tool that you run as a USB boot drive.

1 Like

I think in the very same video Wendell also mentions not to clone the dying HDD directly, but rather create an image file first. This way you don’t have to worry about the first device any longer.

1 Like

Terve!
Personally I don’t think the HDD is failing in the short term. It’s a long term investment that is helped by the factor that the HDD has some worrisome numbers on the SMART readings. But thank you for the concern.
Sayonara!
Shadow

clonezilla obviously the most versatile solution (except if target is smaller than source)

1 Like

Terve!
Since I am migrating data from an HDD to an SSD I noticed that too. Currently I am setting up an other PC to have EaseUS Partition Master clone a non boot Partition - that should take care of it.
Sayonara!
Shadow

1 Like