Microsoft website will not let me download ISO - banned?

Avid Linux user and haven’t used Windows in years.

I’ve tried multiple browsers, disabled extensions, desktop and phone, different IPs even different ISPs (cell data vs home cable), even tried spoofing browser user agent. I’ve exhausted everything, at this point I’m more interested in why this is happening rather than actually getting the stupid ISO. This is sketchy.

“We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when connecting to this service is not generally allowed.”

Have you tried creating a new Microsoft account?

I’m getting the same when I visit.
Am using VPN

On GrapheneOS

same here

no idea why, has to be up range based

Have you tried on somones Windows install?

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s not just me. I kinda figured at this point. Hopefully resolved soon. Haven’t asked anyone else to try yet.

Happened to me a while ago but then it stopped. They are probably implementing some stupid wacky way to block automated downloads and being malicious as they always are they might be trying to force people to log in their account so they can collect the data.

I have never had a problem downloading ISO’s of Windows or VS etc. from Microsoft.
I am always logged into my Microsoft account when doing so.
If you are looking for Windows 10 or 11, and a USB installer will work, then use the Media Creation Tool instead of an ISO.

You mean: the money, surely :roll_eyes:

Well I was able to download windows 11 iso just fine. If you can’t figure out why you can’t download it I can put up on on google drive for you to try there!

Like @thetazman said too, I’m happy to temporarily host it on a website if helpful. I downloaded / installed win 11 on a machine just a few weeks ago :+1:

1 Like

Never before tried using their download site while logged in. Didn’t even know that was a thing. Tried it, still not letting me. Can we get multiple people to post and confirm the legit filename:SHA256 to confirm an unofficial download source. Still want to know why this is even happening to begin with.

There is a script on the site that tries to communicate with vlscppe.microsoft.com (h-microsoft.online-metrix.net), among others, in the case of lack of connectivity / name resolution, an error pops up and it cannot be downloaded.

Error

We are unable to complete your request at this time. Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service. For this reason, leveraging anonymous or location hiding technologies when connecting to this service is not generally allowed. If you believe that you encountered this problem in error, please try again. If the problem persists you may contact Microsoft Support – Contact Us page for assistance. Refer to message code 715-123130 and 365d0f84-a3f5-482c-bad2-b423d1ff8816.

If you are using something for dns filtering like Pi-Hole then whitelist vlscppe.microsoft.com, and start downloading the ISO.
You will also see h-microsoft.online-metrix.net in the logs

When you have proper connectivity to this you will have a normal trouble free download.
There is no specific block for you, for location, for anything… It is the effect of blocking communication between the user and a specific address, which apparently is important for MS. Telemetry or protection against “something”.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/gtjlxd/major_websites_that_port_scan_their_visitors_with/?rdt=46298

In short, they fingerprint you…

If you still fail, here is the official link to W11 64 Eng Inter…

https://software.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/Win11_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64v2.iso?t=d228ae3f-4072-49f9-bc14-6dbf3705a333&e=1692510092&h=9ef2c854324feee8c7e0ea86f4cdda30024a963913f4e8b49a911ab03b771ee9

Hash: FF27ACC3D5F407F55C6440C56A2358F6EE5DBEA4C77880BA2CAD9CB1E54EFB35

Links valid for 24 hours from time of creation.
Links expire: 8/20/2023 5:41:31 AM UTC

2 Likes

I can’t check file integrity right now, but I can download via an Android mobile over my home WiFi (UK).

Download works here as well. (Germany, Firefox on mac)

This is good info, thanks much. I suspected there was some tracker doing shenanigans. Which is why I tried multiple browsers and even disabled extensions/adblock. Now I see the vlscppe.microsoft.com connections as you’ve pointed out, though, they’re not blocked. Still no success. Can anyone using Brave Browser test this? I would assume at the very least it wont work with uBlock enabled, how about Brave Shields?

I just tried to download windows 11 thru brave and it went thru with no issue!

Not good… I did tests earlier and on my side it is the lack of proper connectivity for this domain that causes this error.

dig vlscppe.microsoft.com ?
You should see one “CNAME” and one “A”. If you don’t see it, you’re sure you don’t have DNS filtering anywhere? Maybe try changing dns servers for a while.

Try disabling absolutely every addons in your browser…

Strange behavior, probably something else is not working as MS planned. All I see on my side is a script and connectivity to this domain… Nothing else causes this error. :confused:

I would rather exclude the actual BAN because you said that you checked from different IP/ISP/geo… if you use an account, logout, and others also say that they have a problem, so you can exclude an individual case specific only to you.

For me, both on Firefox and Chromium, it works whenever it does not block on the firewall and adds to the white list on dns. Just block one of the two and that error will pop up. It just seems that your situation is different…

Wondering if its a good idea to download off a public library, starbucks or something the like. Then just do a sha256 to verify. You have to use a normie browser with no adblocks.

It’s pathetic that MS does this to keep people from not blocking their ad/metric business. This will surely backfire due to people going to alternate downloads sources.

1 Like

There are many ways to work around this if you don’t want to allow connectivity or even js scripts.

Get yourself a cheap vps for quick dirty little things… pretty “cheap” for $0.00133/hour. You only pay for the time the server is up.

Also good for a quick “is it me or everyone” type test…

P.S
I’m less worried about what MS is doing here, I’d be more worried if youtube did something similar in a moment. :wink:

2 Likes