Microsoft Releases Teams for Linux; Plans to Host Linux Conference in 2020

Great news, I won’t need to boot my work laptop at all now when I am WFH. The teams Web client can work on chromium but it takes a bit of fiddling to do so.

2 Likes

Teams is a pretty solid implementation of Slack/Discord-esque software.

Integration with the Office applications, OneDrive, et cetera. Supposedly you can integrate it with Azure too.

Let me guess, it is less functional (and buggier) than just running it as a browser tab?

:smiley:

2 Likes

That is pretty nice.
However if the said Teams application is going to be,
based on the same code base as skype.
Then it might be a little bit sluggish maybe.
But i think its great that Microsoft is doing these kind of things.
They seem to take Linux a bit more serious this way i guess?

1 Like

Oh no, not solid at all. Unreliable to say the least. My company (like all others lol) has an Office package, Teams is part of it. Figured why not use that and not pay extra for Slack. Worth mentioning, we’re (IT dept) on MacOS primarily, as it could just be due to that. You can kinda do everything all the same, plugins, custom plugins, bots etc. The major problems we had are with PC/mobile sync, messages not popping up with notifications etc, usually when switching between mobile and PC (kind of important), MacOS client crapping out without notice, causing you to miss hours worth of messages (until you notice that it’s crapped out), which often are important. Video calling seemed to be ok for the most part, but all the other stuff got so bad for everyone we just switched back to Slack and never looked back. Till they fix that, Teams gets no love from me lol. That’s all fairly recent stuff too.

2 Likes

Teams and skype, whilst there is some overlap are entirely different things.

Skype is a video chat application.

Teams is more of a “collaborative workspace” (oh god how old am I, using buzzwords like this).

It’s heavily integrated into sharepoint 365 and 365 data sources in general.

Basically as far as can see, Microsoft’s vision is that your entire 365 workflow centres around teams.

Until of course they change tack in 6 months time and deprecate it like they have with a bunch of other stuff in the past few years.

And yeah, switching to my serious hat…

Microsoft will fully support Linux sooner or later, one way or another. Client OS is a commodity. Server OS is even becoming commodity enough that there is little point focusing so much on it.

The real money is in services - this is why they are jacking up server pricing and trying to get you to the cloud. It’s a stable revenue stream and also enables them to do things with big data that just isn’t practical with small on-prem applications.

Moving forward, Microsoft won’t give a crap if you’re running WIn10, MacOS, Linux or Android or whatever. So long as you’re using an Office 365 subscription - that’s where the money is coming from.

In fact, given the above, once they reach the tipping point on “enough customers on 365” maintaining Windows client OS versions will be a waste of money. Why pay to maintain a client platform when it just doesn’t matter if the end user is running something that is maintained by somebody else for free?

4 Likes

This fear mongering is so hilarious. You’re right, they’re gonna stop supporting Windows and let Apple’s trash platform take over. Right after Sustem76 and Dell partner with Lenovo and Linux sales take over Microsoft overnight by 9,001%

Oh and there will be peace in the Middle East. We’ll be a one world government, united on all fronts. And there’ll be no war and poverty. Yeah! All this can happen if we stop supporting Microsoft!

Probably more likely that ‘Windows’ will become the replacement for X11, Wayland and a bunch of compositors and DE’s :joy:

1 Like

I’m surprised more people aren’t calling this. Windows DE with Linux kernel is likely where Microsoft is headed. I’m sure they’ll still have NT kernel as well.

3 Likes

Ah okay, well Teams has been a separate client in the past.
And back in the days before Teams, it was Skype for businesses.
Now days it seems to integrated with with Office 365 indeed,
at least when it comes to the windows platform.
However not sure how this is going to be on the Linux platform?

Yes, it will be called the “Windows Subsystem for Windows” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve had the opposite experience at work and university.

Granted my coworkers still want to do everything pen and paper, but we’ve never had issues. Never had issues when I’ve used it for university either.

why is WSL?

Isn’t it a linux kernel on top of win32 API?

shouldn’t it be LSW?

Because it’s the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Windows has Subsystems for POSIX and win32 API as well.

It is part of the Windows operating system developed for x, y, z.

A Linux Subsystem for Windows would be more WINE, if it weren’t an emulation layer.

So it means you run argv[3] on top of argv[0] basically

Alrighty then, thanks

1 Like

More like argv[0][3]

1 Like

This makes sense, from a business perspective, but it will be interesting to see if 365 ends up hitting that tipping point. I understand why the business world is going to shell out the money for these subscriptions/robberies. I have to think for home use there are millions of people that don’t like it though, just like people don’t like the Adobe CC costs. They’re fine if you’re a professional making money off the product, but for everyone else, no so much. Yes, they make products for the home user so you don’t pay that fee, but now I’m wondering how quickly they abandon support for these products, like maybe dropping them down to only 5 years for security updates. I mean I haven’t even checked to see what Microsoft currently does. All I know is that if the business world is locked into one product, it’s hard to avoid that product for the home user who has to interact with the business world.

The OS though has to be the biggest headache and cost though, so I see the point. And, every move that Microsoft makes to bring in revenue for the OS, or many moves, upset the user base.

Couldn’t Microsoft solve the problem though by maybe paying more attention to what the customers want? Or, treating a touchscreen device like a touchscreen device, and treating something like a PC they way it should be? And, remembering that NO MATTER WHAT, privacy of the user is what most people in the world EXPECT??!! And, maybe going back to a one stop configuration area, like a Control Panel, and maybe a file explorer that’s fast and makes sense for browsing the contents of a computer, like the Win XP Windows Explorer? If they made a product that people REALLY LIKE, they would probably have the revenue flow coming in for it to support the maintenance budget for the product. If they actually did this, they would have a product that doesn’t need to be replaced within 2 or 3 years, which was the case with both Vista and Win8. In fact if Win8 never came out and Win10 came out as an improved Win7, but maybe having 2 versions, or 2 DEs, one for touchscreen and one for the typical PC, AND they focused on user privacy and security, I don’t think there would be a slow migration to other OS’s.

These are all just WAGs though, and I don’t pay attention to the business world so please don’t feel the need to be insulting if you are someone else coming along and reading this and want to comment on this.

1 Like

That’s not fear mongering, it is basic economics. Its not going to be any time soon, but it will happen.

And not just to Microsoft. And yes, maybe they will run win32 on top of linux, but i dont think so. They’ve been trying to kill win32 forever.

The future is web apps. The client platform is (at that point) irrelevant - so long as it complies with the relevant web standards.

1 Like

My apologies, I thought you were implying it was going to happen tomorrow.

Edit, not on topic

Summary

I was under impression that they wanted the UWP/store apps to take over until they could finally drop the win32 debt they have been carrying?

Us Linux cucks absolutely went ballistic when Ubuntu announced a dropping of 32 bit…