MFZuul tries it: X131e (AMD Arch-Based Edition) -Done-

So basically what this means, is that you can (usually) put any WM/DE and DM on any distro.

Usually distros just have many WMs, DEs and DMs in the repos and you can install all of them at once, and choose which ones to run. In fact you just start a DM that you want, and then from the DM you can pick any DE or WM that you want to run today.

That said, that is fucking dumb lol. Just pick one you like.

5 Likes

I vote for this too if you are using lower spec hardware. There are other good DEs that have low system impact, but XFCE is the most popular one.

i3 is my go to WM if I want to rock with a window manager. Never bothered to try/learn anything else.

IMO the best way to to learn Linux at the beginning is to try things, break stuff, google/ask around why the stuff got broken and be like “oooh ok now this makes sence… kind of…” :smiley:

At least that has worked quite well for me.

6 Likes

My Phenom x3 ran really well on a full sized Mint with only 4 gigs of DDR2
on an older version
when I put a newer version it slowed down some.
Only other distro’s I have experience, on a different PC, with is LXLE, Puppy and the one written in ASM.
I had success with the first 2 and only LXLE that ran well.
With Linux there are no bad users, just bad distro’s :slight_smile:

If you find The Distro that can go a week without crashing just leave it alone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just like OpenBox, that is all.

3 Likes

Thanks @MFZuul for this amazing journey you brought us on, even those of us who came in after the dirty deed was done.

An American hero ladies and gentlemen.

i3wm is the best meme to ever grace my linux installs, after almost a decade of linux shenanigans i3 has been the only consistent wm that I have ever used… even when the system is capable I still use it

also I love the fact that you are using a failed product as your base for the experience, makes everything just feel so right

6 Likes

Install MATE m8

1 Like

install Linux From Scratch

1 Like

The people love a dumpster fire, love to crowd the car crash. The people want CF, I give them the two things only the people anxiously desire, the bread and circuses of the modern age!

I am a person of the people

I must use this now, as the greats have all spoke of its meme power

1 Like

by the powers given me by my neckbeard, I bless you onto this journey, may the FLOSS be with you.

1 Like

I will fail you time and time again, and it will be enjoyable to see.

This I promise you, I go with libre in my heart

There will be more threads of FLOSS from me, let muh fredumbs ring

2 Likes

Dont do it. You will never come back. Before you know it you’ll be screeching about librebooting your x200.

2 Likes

Why%20am%20I%20dong%20this

2 Likes

Holy shit, you are going full meme status.

3 Likes

It will get even better than that, I promise

2 Likes

Install fedora workstation

3 Likes

I may, but I think I will install the low hanging cringe fruit of Kali Linux on my Intel X131e

Not sure that to do with the x200, if I was competent I would do Arch to complete the meme. Being serious for a sec not sure if that is what I will try out the gate.

I will libreboot it however, doesn’t seem…that…hard in videos

If you won’t run gentoo with only FLOSS software on that librebooted x200 I don’t know you

2 Likes

The neckbeard on high has spoken, he requests I kill myself for lulz

gentoo will be the go to

1 Like

st for terminal and dwm for WM. w/ dmenu ofc

1 Like

Kali is kinda pointless to install, not that you cant or shouldnt, but that making kali into a usable daily driver (at least last time I used it) takes more effort than installing whatever utility from kali onto [insert distro here].

It used to be pretty good as a DD with backtrack back in the day since it was all ubuntu anyway.

I think theres even repos you can add to install most of the stuff from kali anyway.

:man_shrugging:

Dont let me stop your dreams tho.

1 Like