Meta Blog

Inspired by oO.o’s Neverending Tech Blog and few others, I thought it’s a good place to discuss and catalog ideas around technology, science and other things.

I don’t have a clear vision for this thread yet but I have some ideas I wan’t to try. I won’t flood the thread with all kinds of abstractions. I’ll try to keep it organized by the topics which it’s easy to follow. I’ll keep adding the summary and links to important discussions in the first thread.

But if anyone thinks it’s not a good idea here then please let me know. I’ll wait few days for your response before I put the first topic. Thanks

2 Likes

Excellent idea. We always encourage people to share what they’re up to!

4 Likes

Cool. Thanks…

So the first topic I want to tackle is Resiliency. I don’t think most people realize how vulnerable we are. But this pandemic is helping things put into perspectives. I think a lot of things will change post this crisis.

What is the one sentiment we all share in any crisis?

Unpreparedness.

We are always ill-prepared for any crisis, from natural disasters to nuclear disasters to pandemics. I’m just trying to figure out why that is? What’s the reasons for our unpreparedness…

I think we are making some tactical errors in how to deal with some abstractions. Obvious ones are logistical errors which can be easily pointed out. But what scares the most are evolutionary errors, especially psychological.

In my view, psychology is an evolutionary feature which helps us get around our biological limits and also influence others. Influencing others psychologically backed by valid reasons can be a good thing. but it becomes a dangerous weapon if reasons are ill-informed. Entire civilization psychology might be adapting to be more efficient at defense and offence. Because we have to protect ourselves constantly from being manipulated.

I imagine some people benefit from this in the short term however the larger outcome seems to be negative. In the end we end up making the system more toxic… That’s not even the main issue. It differs our attention from long term objectives, adds hurdles in the progress. We might be becoming more psychologically twisted too. But it’s not seen twisted because everybody is doing this and it’s a new normal.

What I’m really trying to say is, we need to be more prepared to become resilient. But we are not able to achieve that because most things are tied to some personal agenda and propaganda at every scale. And it’s all happening because there’s something fundamentally wrong. And most of the human errors are the symptoms of this.

Sorry if it's confusing, I’m trying..

Over a few write-ups, I will try building some kind of thinking framework. I am hoping if the framework makes sense then people interested can participate and abstract solutions. It’s not about being right or wrong, instead building some apparatus and keep optimizing it.

So the next thing I want to tackle is Awareness and Vantage Point.

In my understanding, every individual has 3 dimensions of awareness in combination that are X, Y and Z.

Z axis is Vertical awareness. These are experts of their fields. They use advanced tools and methodologies to understand and precisely describe their abstractions in great details. They are responsible for establishing new knowledge and facts for all. But Z people cluster around their types and end up their echo-chambers, they don’t necessarily translate or share their awareness with others.

X axis is Horizontal awareness, people who take on many domains to understand and model the world. They obviously can not go in too deep so they have to rely on established knowledge set by Z people. But most X people aren’t good at it because horizontal scaling doesn’t work well. Low resolution vertical knowledge and lack of experience leads to generalizations often acquired from mainstream sources that can have some biased or manipulative intentions built in.

Y axis is experiential and creative type awareness, this is propagated from your unique experiences and/or unique brain structure. This is more about how you process the knowledge than having the knowledge. Most people are similar on the Y axis in groups because most groups of people have roughly similar cognition and life experiences… But some people can have rare and powerful experiences that make them different. or it could be some cognitive difference that others can not relate to and are uniquely valuable.

So these three axis make your vantage point where you stand and judge reality, the issue is, it is your interpretation of reality. Apart from things we don’t have control over, the reality is what we make of it. No one person can possibly have awareness to understand the entirety of desired collective reality. So implicit assumption is, in order to understand what’s good, we need to model reality collectively. But the gap between X,Y and Z and everything in between makes it impossible, This is not only a network and communication problem but also information is getting corrupted in transit.

The difference between us and animals is, we can think and plan ahead. Depending on subscribed abstractions, most people use their awareness to model and optimize for personal success. We hope that personal success of all individuals will lead to collective success. Which is a fine except it doesn’t work for some things like natural disasters and pandemics among many. And these things have the potential to collapse an entire civilization.