Mesh Network for New Home

No problem. And to answer @novasty’s question, I don’t have experience with it myself but from a quick google the answer is yes, the Orbis can be used in AP-only mode if you have a high-end router already.

I am trying to move away from pfsense. Really only want to use one admin panel for my network.

You can do just that, with Ubiquiti’s line of Unifi products. Their Unifi Controller can be used to configure their Unifi routers, switches and access points, including their mesh system.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

might pick up their router and another AC Lite and mesh it with my other one.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Just keep in mind that while they offer lots of great routers and switches, only the Unifi line is configured via the Unifi Controller.

https://unifi-sdn.ui.com/#

1 Like

Ok what I am thinking is Secure Gateway, Cloud Key (could go raspi) 8 port POE switch. One hardwired AC lite and one or two AC lites meshed to it.

Have the switch powered from a UPS and from the switch it powers the rest.

Have the Servers on one VLAN and everything else on another.

Keep nice QOS, firewall and NAT settings an only requires one admin panel I can admin from my phone.

Also, reduces the amount of power plugs I am using as well. That upgrade would cost about the same as a high end mesh system

1 Like

If you have even reasonably fast internet, QoS will murder your speeds with the USG3; you need to spend a LOT of money to get QoS working with Ubiquiti.

On the other hand if you don’t use QoS or IDS, the USG3 will handle gigabit no problem, that’s what I do myself.

I probably won’t need QOS since it is only two people. Only thing I may do is have it prioritize VOIP because dropped packets irritate me.

Yeah, that’s QoS. Will murder your speed.

Like I said most likely not going to use it.

I decided to read the whole post before replying but yes the UBQT products are going to yield you the closest to what your asking for. They have quality built radios and their software is setup for what you want to do. Forget and go meshes are really still sub par. If you want to hold out though WiFi 6 will make quite a bit of difference with meshes but if you don’t have a lot of traveling clients within the mesh network and more stationary the benefit would be minor. Tbch given the security vulnerabilities of mesh networks to which you van google. I would be more inclined to go with the slightly more expensive Unifi AP SHD’s that have the ability to actively deter threats to mesh networks. Just a thought though I’m guessing where you are going you may not be worried about this so then the lites makes the most sense. On the other hand the LR variant has a better antenna and could be used to place the mesh APs farther from one another

My only experience is with the APs running in PoE direct link to switch mode. Which in my opinion is more effective for your setup with their zero lag handoff feature tuned to your house.

Anyways ramblings as side UBQT is a great choice

May be down to hardwire if the plenum space will accommodate that.

And yes I would get plenum grade cable.

1 Like

Yeah it for sure works better if you can do so. These access points as I’m sure you know are all POE so the best thing to get is their POE switch so it can power everything at once and simplify things

Upload only (less bandwidth to deal with) smartqueue should still be useful. OP said previously he doesn’t have that much bandwidth.

Save money by:

1. Not running a controller all the time (thus not getting a cloud key), install on a laptop, run once in a while to upgrade software.
  2. Not getting a Unifi POE switch - you’ll get an injector with the other AP, and if you really want VLANs or guest networks, you can get them by plugging in APs directly into USG or via wireless uplink or via a dumb switch if you’re missing ports on USG.

My understanding is that QoS is either on or off, and if it’s on, you lose hardware acceleration and your speed goes to crap. Doing uploads only doesn’t help.

Im in a similar spot to our man Lesser…

Thinking of USG -> unmanaged switch -> AP (x2) (all ubiquiti ofc)

No controller just a laptop like you mentioned, no poe switch since I have no need.

That will work fine. You don’t need to leave the controller running unless you have a customized guest wifi login page or care about collecting metrics. I suggest blowing the extra, what, five bucks on a managed switch, just in case.

In case I get my whits about me and run a Plex server?

Seriously though I will likely end up having to get a managed switch, I just don’t have one right now. Any recommendations? Does it have to be a Unifi switch? (US-8 is really all I’d need)

If you already own an unmanaged switch, no need to buy a managed one until you actually want to use that functionality.

Doesn’t need to be Unifi. All that gives you is hella-cool configuration through the controller.

I actually can’t recommend a brand, I had a cheap TPlink managed switch from Amazon and I couldn’t figure out how to get VLANs configured properly. Worked fine unmanaged.

I ended up buying two Ubiquiti US-8 60w switches which while something like 6 times the price, worked perfectly.

I have an unmanaged but do want to reduce power cables and want vlans so I am going to go with a POE switch.