Mechwarrior 2 (DOS/ Windows 95 game) + soundtrack

"A call to trial, justice, by combat."

So I am 18, was born in 96' but I distinctly remember playing a fantastic old DOS game by the name of Mechwarrior 2 on my dad's old Athlon machine in the early 2000's.

It's funny because it's one of the first video games I played, and it wasn't exactly easy to figure out the gameplay mechanics or the fantastic mech configuration options when you are just 7/ 8 years old.

I remember how technical the game was, in combat you had to constantly keep your heat level in check (heat generated from weapons depended on a variety of factors, such as the amount of heat sinks on your mech, the weapons you were using, other heat related sources on your mech such as the engine and jump-jets, and the atmospheric temperature)

Too much heat buildup resulted in reactor meltdown, you could override the mandatory thermal shutdown by hitting the "O" key, but failure to reduce heat would literally cause you to explode, resulting in mission failure.

This game is one of my absolute favorite games of all time. 

The one thing I distinctly remember is how purely awesome the soundtrack was. I have discovered a person on Soundcloud who has remastered/ remixed the original soundtrack, and it sounds FANTASTIC.  I haven't stopped listening to it since. I would seriously consider taking a listen. Here is a link: https://soundcloud.com/timothy-seals/sets/a-new-dawn

The fanbase for this game seems relatively small, has anybody else played this game and enjoyed it as much as I have?

I played it, was very micro managing. I recall it being much easier though with a joystick. I also played Interstate 76 arsenal with the joystick at LAN parties, good times!

This game came out around the same time as Earthsiege 2 correct? Earthsiege was made by Sierra and Mechwarrior 2 was an EA game? These games were so much fun!!!!

Mechwarrior 2 was actually Activision and Fasa, I have never played Earthsiege, maybe I should check it out.

I use a keyboard/ mouse and it's not bad at all. The came actually controls very nicely.

Along with DOOM, Mechwarrior 2 was one of the first games that I cut my teeth on. Whenever I hear the soundtrack, on my playlist, I am always overcome with waves of Nostalgia. No other Mechwarrior game has come as close to the level of awesome that Mechwarrior 2 had.

They just don't make games like they used to. :(

1 Like

DOOM and Mechwarrior 2 were among some of my first PC games as well, along with Duke Nukem and Quake. I can remember playing on an IMB Aptiva some 20 years ago. The soundtrack for Mechwarrior 2 is still excellent. I'm currently listening to it on YouTube, and the nostalgia is incredible. I can't get the smile off my face!

I remember playing this game as well. Great find!

And I lost count of how many hours Quake took from me. shakes fist