MDAM installation on proxmox, howto?

I have recently seen the video on installing MDAM on Ubuntu 20.4. I would like to do something similar on my debian-based proxmox installation, not so much for running proxmox out of it, but to create a block device as a software raid and than pass it to a VM on top of which I would be running freenas and use that raid device as a super fast cache, front end to a number of spinners. Proxmox says this is unsupported albeit people are using it and it should be installed manually, however the root user does not seem to have enough privileges and / or some packages seem to be on standard and I get the error below. Anybody has encountered this issue or knows how to circumvent the problem?

E: Splitting of clearsigned file /var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_buster_updates_InRelease failed as it doesn't contain all expected parts
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

moreover trying to perform an apt-get update I get additional errors I cannot fully post as the site perceives them as links, example of them are

Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.debian.org_dists_buster_updates_main_i18n_Translation-en.xz - open (13: Permission denied) 

Failed to fetch (with an http in front) security.debian.org  /dists/buster/updates/main/i18n/Translation-en  Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.debian.org_dists_buster_updates_main_i18n_Translation-en.xz - open (13: Permission denied)
which are kind of strange errors for the user root

I added enclosed the “.” with () otherwise the site thought I was posting links.

• fixed by adubs

Use backticks around stuff you don’t want to be a link

Example
`it looks like this`

it looks like this

Alternatively for a bunch of stuff you can do the triple backtick

Example
```
This is a triple backtick
You can put many lines here
Don’t forget to close it
```

This is a triple backtick
You can put many lines here
Don't forget to close it

Try this solution

Did you start of by changing the repos for aptitude to the free ones?
And disabling the enterprise repos.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

I installed proxmox two dayes ago, ran updates and installed among other things mdadm with no issues.

Done it, the

rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get install mdadm 

did it for me. it was not necessary to change the repos. 

While waiting for your tips, I went on installing ubuntu server (did not work) and then a debian system and installed proxmox on it using the free repos ( proxmox did seem quire a bit snappier installed on top of a debian using the free respos)

Thank you for your help
1 Like