MATLAB Serial Link Designer SI simulation workstation suggestions

Hello everyone!

I’ve recently begun working with MATLAB Serial Link Designer (formerly SiSoft QCD) simulating Signal Integrity (SI) for a large number of 10+Gbps serial links. I am currently running my simulations on a Lenovo P1 Gen3 laptop with an Intel Xeon W-10855M 6-core processor, and Time Domain simulations for my project are taking days to complete, which really slows down design iteration and post-layout optimization.

I believe that I am currently running into memory bandwidth issues (if not some other thermal throttling/hardware issue) on this machine, as running a single simulation (single core) has a drastically faster sim time per iteration than running 6x at a time (loading up all 6x cores), and checking CPU utilization in task manager might confirm this as well. In a single core simulation, the single core is at 90-100% CPU utilization, but when running the 6 at a time, CPU utilization for each core falls to ~60%. Memory capacity does not appear to be an issue, as I am only using ~24GB of the 64GB I have available in this system.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this software and could recommend the best hardware for this use case. Thanks!

1 Like