Mars map with water

I just think it looks interesting. Mars with oceans and everything. Much less separation of the land masses than the earth. Maybe the mars tectonic plates are not as many/active/whatever…

6 Likes

That’s cool.
I wonder what would happen over time with an active planet.

Realistically I guess this isn’t something we’ll ever see though. :frowning:

3 Likes

What do you mean active planet?

I’m pretty sure we need to bring our earth water to mars. What I am not so sure is, when the water evaporates, will the mars gravity be strong enough to keep it in the atmosphere or will the water vapour just drift into open space…
Cause I’m not entirely sure if mars Jan hold an atmosphere since it’s smaller than earth and the gravity is weaker.

1 Like

I forget the correct naming. And active molten layer that allows for tectonic activity, etc. Which I don’t think will ever be possible again with Mars.

That said I doubt we’d ever end up with a Mars with huge oceans. I get the feeling anything we do will be man made for some considerable time. But we’ve made man made lakes before.

1 Like

Mind you on the same note. If we did ever colonise Mars we could shift the land around ourselves and make our own continents …

2 Likes

I think it needs a magnetic field, too?

Water they could maybe get by smacking some comets into it?

4 Likes

Bringing earth water to Mars just isn’t feasible. Even just for the daily water usage of a colony of 1000 people, never mind creating lakes or oceans. Water is just too damn heavy to continually take such a long distance.

Taking hydrogen from Earth, and combining it with the Oxygen in the CO2 already on Mars, however, may just about be feasible (probably not for large lakes or oceans though)

Redirecting comets is another popular idea. As is extracting water from the ice caps and some soil locations, which typically have anywhere between 1 and 20% water on Mars

3 Likes

While we are trickin out Mars. Maybe we could fix earth as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The fix is out there…

smod-earth

3 Likes

The map reminds me of the two continents map on Civ 5.

3 Likes

Earth is foked already… Unfixable…

The magnetic field is the biggest issue. Without it any atmosphere you add gets blown away by the sun.

4 Likes

Need to drop ice rocks from asteroid belts Down the Gravity well. Best do it before permanent human habitation though, as would be on an order of Nukes

2 Likes

It funny how we plan to fix mars so we could just breath on it when we breath on earth and aggressively fuck it up :). Well not all countries :slight_smile:

Im ashamed to be australian. In this topic of planet engineering. We fucking up like no mars ever ever.

2 Likes

There is more water in solar system that’s easier to access and transport than what we have on earth, so I’d guess the plan is to get the water from Europa or some of the meteorites and ice moons

1 Like

We have a plan?

You would not guess for what humans have a plan. How to bring water to Mars seems like a fairly normal thought.

Last I heard, Europa was off-limits.

all-these-worlds-are-yours

1 Like

The plan is to have a solar system wide mining operation within the next 40 years, makes sense as meteors and moons have a lot of resources

1 Like

Mars and water? Are you serious? The idea may seem good, but the absence of atmosphere, low gravity, and magnetic field make it impossible. Unfortunately, we aren’t so powerful to transform another planet. There’s room for improvement tho.

1 Like