Markdown notes/wiki program with specific requirements

Huh, I’ll have to play around with it then.

QownNotes? It has spell checking…

Nextcloud Markdown Editor app is also quite nice with all the features required (https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_markdown).

Both apps work together quite well.

3 Likes

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Not only does it have Nextcloud sync, but it also has git versioning built in.

1 Like

Solution on first post, you don’t see that too often. Welcome, @anotsofar

3 Likes

So I know this thread is old and solved, but I just ran across this:

Might be worth checking out if nextcloud notes or qownnotes doesn’t do it for ya.

3 Likes

Couple things I like:

• Snap, flatpak, and appimage; very nice
  • Live preview scrolls nicely
  • Has spell checking
  • Has/Will have good support for community plugins, though it seems like plugin support is still under development.

Things I don’t like:

• Not open source
  • No android client, though that could change, and it uses markdown so another client would be a possibility.

Dealbreakers:

• Full online service with sync is currently $8/month, going up to $16 at release. Sync only will be $4/month, going up to $8 at release. Uses their proprietary sync service. Since it is based on text files in a directory structure, it seems like a plugin for sync integration with git and/or nextcloud would be possible, but IDK if that sort of plugin would be allowed because it would interfer with their subscription sync service.
  • From their EULA The use of OBSIDIAN for the exercise of your own trade or profession for which you directly receive compensation (e.g. team work with colleagues, writing work reports) does not qualify as personal use. I definitely have notes that involve stuff I have been paid for, so I would be breaking the EULA to use the personal version long term. A business license is $50/year, with no perpetual license option. That’s just not going to fly.
1 Like

Has a git plugin, to do an end-run around this.

Welp nevermind.

Didn’t see it in the list of plugins, but yep, a simple git plugin would be pretty easy to write.