March for Science

Doesn't that create a paradox? A person learns about the Dunning-Kruger effects, recognizes they think lowly of their abilities so now thinks highly of themselves, which then removes them from the high ability category and into the low ability.

1 Like

This thread brings back such fond memories of late October 2016:)

Haha, I thought about that briefly as well.

The answer to your question is.. mostly no. Knowing about the study does not mean you lose the knowledge you have gained thus far. You would still be high functioning, in terms of sharing knowledge.

A long, long time ago (*cough I'm "oldish") I realized I had a propensity for talking out of my butt. I would often remind myself to self diagnose the validity of what information I was sharing.

I would say to myself: It is important to know what I know, and it is sometimes more important to know what I do not know.

I was gonna ask, but I get it now.

This was my favorite photo from the march (oops can't find those guys now, but this is close).

3 Likes

yeah, but perhaps you lose wisdom when you think highly of yourself. So knowledge of the Dunner-Kruger effect could turn higher functioning people into lower functioning people.

Hmm, maybe,

So how does one "lose wisdom"?

well, I would define wisdom as the quality of having good judgement. So "losing wisdom" is your judgement becoming worse.

I believe that simply holding off any judgements regarding new information, until that individual can gather pertinent information, would keep one from "losing wisdom" effectively.

I'm trying really really hard to behave:)

2 Likes

A huge problem is we don't for the most part live in a horribly polluted country compared to Europe and Asia. Most of the people that deny climate change our from rural areas and because we do have some regulations they don't see a lot of the effects. Spend a few months in Europe or Asia and you get and good outlook on why regulations are important.

I agree with you, it is insane and needs to stop

1 Like

you know, you could always PM someone why they're an idiot...

1 Like

It kind of makes sense. London has been breaking EU regulations on their air pollution for a while though I think part of the problem in Europe is old, outdated streets and roads that lead to density issues. America has a load more room for expansion and spreading things out.

Though you'd think with all the sever weather regions of the US get they'd realise climate change is most definitely a thing. Also the fact that Florida is literally building a wall to hold back the rising sea.

1 Like