March for Science

Ice caps are growing at a massive rate. BUT they are growing a little bit less each year. They are not shrinking.

Your 97% number is false. They were polled, which is not even close to all scientists, and the question was climate change. Not man made change.

I said all climate scientists believe in climate change. The question is how big of an impact is man making on in a global scale. There is no question on man made impacts on small scale. Only globally is it a lot more complicated.

Not too long until this is locked for your baseless facts and obvious political bait.

friendly reminder that politics has been banned from here because people always derailed it into circlejerking bollock fondling, and nobody benefited. i really don't want anyone to be scared of posting things, but this has the potential to go right down the gutter and it's best stopped before it starts really.

People refuting global warming is like kind of like, if astronomers were like, this astroid is going to hit earth in 50 years if we do nothing and then people refuting it as well, not 100% of astronomers agree, and like astronomers disagree with just how much we have to impact the astroid to avoid catastrophe, and they're probably just making this up to increase their funding. And the politicians that all get financial support from the bunker industry all claiming how its not really a threat, and the astronomers aren't really using the scientific method. So lets just do nothing.

The wonderful thing is is that this thread originated as a conversation about the march for science not intended as political bait. You are the one who began the political discourse so don't peg me for wanting to talk to others who attended the march for science and to gather other perspectives of the event.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Its also really funny, because like developing nations are already using renewable energy. Its already cheaper without subsidies than fossil fuels. Just bought politicians in the US are sabotaging the future of American energy in order to serve the fossil fuel industry's best interest.

That was a seperate conversation that was discussing the reason for the march that ended without debate. Whilst I am guilty of engaging in debate with _hill I did not instigate it.

1 Like

Sorry when I see verifiable bullshit I have a moral duty to call it out. I'm all for science. Hence why I'm on a tech forum, I am not however for people using science, better yet. False science. To support their political ideals.

Climate change is real. It's not as bad as you think it is. The earth will be here long after humans are gone.

There's a no politics rule for a reason.

1 Like

March for science?

It's April people...

3 Likes

2 Likes

Why am I like this...

1 Like

The ice cap in Antarctica is growing but the amount of surface ice worldwide is shrinking. And also the ice density (mass) shrinks worldwide. Meaning a greater amount of water is left liquid in the oceans even if the ice amount seems the same. There is sea level rise. It is just not cause by the ice in Antarctica.

Also the forbes article is full of biased half truths and does not make a rational argument. It leaves out a huge amount of validation data and just keeps in correlations that affirm its position. It is not making any scientific arguments. It just attacks the obama administration policies.

The accurate percentage does not matter. There is scientific consensus on the matter that the most likely culprit is human activity. Greater than most science matters in general. No scientific argument can be 100% accurate. This is not how reality works and if you expect that you do not even understand fundamental things about scientific facts and the world in general.

Before you accuse others of being inaccurate in their fact checking make sure that you are not doing the same.

3 Likes

Mann from Ped State did a great science video:)

There's too many lies and misinformation in here for any of us to really know the truth. So to be completely on either side is a bit irrational.

Too much money in this for it be a simple issue.

3 Likes

yes, because you know more about climate science than climate scientists. You're perfectly qualified for estimating the level of damage Global Warming can cause.

1 Like

the reason it's such a "debate" is that getting anything done requires the vast majority of people to agree, something that is almost mythical nowadays. people are too concerned with "pwning" the "Other Side[tm]" to actually find a way to move forward, and the people that DO want to move forward are held back by bickering and lobbying and protests and partisan bullshit to the point where ANYTHING becomes like pushing a boulder up a hill with a spoon.

and the sad part is, there's no real solution. unless some drastic planet-shifting "you take your toys and play over there, i'll play over here" scifi-esque Western Block shit happens, the only way forward is to keep handing the AUX to whichever child is screaming the loudest in hopes that next time "your side[tm]"'s turn comes around, you can ram whatever laws through before you have to hand the power over again. which in turn makes people more open to spiteful changes just so they can fuck the "Other Side[tm]" over while they can.

I prefer to never try and argue climate change as far as global warming. It's too complicated and I don't have much info on it. I will argue climate change as far as pollution that is damaging to the human body, poisoned oceans, recurring fuel costs etc. Throw global warming out the window and you still have a solid argument for strong environmental regulations.

4 Likes

Most of us here (likely) are relatively illiterate when it comes to science. To deny scientific findings, and hypothesis, based on "feelings" is the reason this march took place.

I will just leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

4 Likes

America seems to be one of the only Western countries that has so many climate change deniers in government, and the country I would put second in the "western civilisation" is Australia. Both countries suffer from intense lobbying from oil and gas companies. How the general public can listen to their funded think-tanks over actual scientists is insane to me.