Manjaro xfce no inittab found; WTF! Need Help please!

Hi,
i’m fucked and stuck.

Used the xfce session manager application to fiddle around with launching the jetbrains-toolbox with some params because it otherwise launches to a white-screen.
For some reason, it always defaulted back to the original (no params) white-screen version.
Tried to work around that, disabled the standard launch setting and created my own custom.

Reboot and it’s now stuck at a screen telling me that init did not find a inittab file and that i should choose a run level now.

I’m sure that i didn’t change anything else before, so just What the actual fricken fuck fuck fuckken hell ?

And i tried to fix it myself.

My current problem is that Manjaro seems to not have a inittab file at all.
Read they moved to system.d

I just don’t know where to look and what to do anymore.
I can’t make sense of this, or figure out where to search next.

Manjaro + inittab did not bring up anything related to my problem except one single openrc related post on manjaro github repo.

Sadly i do run basically stock manjaro and i never installed openrc and i doubt that it came with that installed.
I could check if that is installed or used somehow, but i’ll have to figure that out now and not while typing.

Since i can’t do anything at the runlevel screen, Single user mode i where i currently am.

I’d really appreciate any help!
Thanks a bunch!

Maybe this’l help
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89325

won’t stick around, bedtime

well thanks for trying!
Found that before, it’s the first thing to pop up in the inittab context.

Sadly, i don’t have a renamed or backed up inittab file because manjaro and arch have moved to systemd.
So creating one might not even help, like with the guy in the post who had to reinstall initscripts and some other stuff.

Everything i can currently do is limited to single-user mode without network connection because my laptop has a shit bios that does not recognize a bootable usb stick when there is a bootable drive installed.

So i can’t boot a live iso or recovery right now, which is what that guy did.

If you didn’t do a custom install then you have systemd like you said, claiming that inittab ain’t found sure raises eyebrows… you shouldn’t even have one
Are you even able to change the runtime? What happens if you run init 1? (1-5)

Yes,my eyebrows have moved to the back of my head.
Entering any of the reasonable runlevels does cause init to print that there are no running processes left.
Thats it, blinking cursor. Input isn’t registered anymore.
No tty etc. Single user mode works though.

Finally found the arch initialisation wiki page aka boot process.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_boot_process#Init_process

From this I assume that I either have a broken /init process, or that systemd that should replace it, is borked, maybe due to a bad entry by the XFCE session manager.

Systemd sadly doesn’t report anything while in single user mode.
Probably missing env variables.

Systemctl fails to connect to Bus, and does not give any usefull output.

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ist missing.

That could be the cause but setting that var to anything does not help.

ps aux lists:
PID 1 as init
Interestingly
PID 297 as init too

Systemd is not listed and probably isn’t running though.