Manjaro Steam Freezes

Hi All,

Recently moved from Fedora to Manjaro Linux because of wonderful news that Red Hat released on June 22, 2023. That being said, whenever I try to play a game in Steam, take a picture or try to use the Steam Overlay, games completely freeze and I need to pretty much restart the desktop. Sometimes taking screenshot does not freeze the game but yesterday, it did a lot.

The game I am currently playing is Children of Morta.

Any ideas to fix the issue or I could provide logs to figure this out would be a great help.

Thanks.

Reproduce the crash then check the logs. Post error

Assuming KDE Manjaro, there’s KSystemLog if you prefer GUI to check things like journald

Maybe check steam logs: /home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/logs/

Some games may also have their own log, poke around the games install directory. eg: /home/<user>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/<game>/

It would help if you included some info on what DE “Flavor”, GPU, what drivers, have you ensured the dkms for said drivers are loaded…etc, bla bla, so on…so forth.

That said Steam is a complete dumpster fire atm. I have like 6 or 7 tickets on github for how it can write garbage to my VRAM and kill my GPU if I right click, UI won’t resize or update correctly, menus blast you with white or lingering black rects before/after draw calls and a host of other pretty nasty bring your machine down bits and UI gotchas that cause all kinds of havoc if not just sheer frustration.

Recently Steam been taking, multiple launch attempts, to get a goin’
[Since 6.2.x+ kernel]… I’m sure, that they’re “working on it”

Kernel version has nothing to do with it. Their new UI nightmare is the issue. I had several tickets open before the update but now if I launch without the -vgui flag it just hangs on launch. Go check the github issues for the explosion of problems from said update, it’s a fun read in how not to do software heh. That said if you lockup/hang on launch launch with the -vgui flag and see if it changes…then pray they don’t kill that off.

Sorry for not replying back until now. I did not get notified that your messages were posted. Must be a miracle or something because, Steam, the overlay, switching to the DE is all fixed and working. The only thing that was updated that i could see was Vivaldi. Here is a screenfetch of my system. Not sure why DE is coming up as Gnome when i have Cinnamon installed.

Steam Version

Glad it is working now!

Isn’t Cinnamon a fork of Gnome 2?

Cinnamon is a free and open-source desktop environment for Linux and Unix-like operating systems, deriving from GNOME 3 but following traditional desktop metaphor conventions.

Yep looks like it is. The more you know.

Happy 4th of July!

1 Like