Manjaro KDE su not recognizing root password

As title states, having problems updating through Octopi on Manjaro KDE

Others have the same problem it seems. Tried different solutions found here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-su-not-recognizing-my-password/15766

None worked, though managed to update packages through Octopi Terminal as a temporary solution. (Just pick Run In Terminal instead of the standard way)

Problem persist. Anyone have any ideas?? Really need that KDE su

Thanks in advance.

Do you have root login disabled? If you do, sudo -i will still work, but su will not.

Manjaro still seems to have some issues with their gui updater,
both octopi and pamac have issues with updates sometimes.

Which Manjaro version are you using?

Root login is not disabled, also will not use the system in root mode. That takes away the reasoning for installing Linux in the first place

Octopi mentions the keychain, as a possible area of error. Just seems like a dumb error for a fresh install. Doubt it's in the keychain

More like issues with updating, have had it before on Manjaro Gnome. Where it was a lottery, whether or not it would it would recognize the root password

Running Manjaro KDE Edition (17.0.1) 64-Bit on recommended LTS Kernel 4.9

They had this exact same issue in the past aswell.
At the forum most people recommended to use the terminal for doing major updates instead of using the gui update tool.
I have not found the exact issue yet, since i was pretty annoyed with Manjaro breaking a few weeks ago with an update aswell.
That i have put Manjaro aside, its a very nice distro but just not reliable imo.
Manjaro allready broke several times on me, and everytime it seems to have something to do with the update manager screwing things up.
But i assume that there will be a fix for it soon.

2 Likes

Really love the Manjaro/Antergos idea and seems to have gained a lot of popularity also on Distrowatch.com
Doubt Antergos is much better in the update department though..

What distro are you on now then? Also thanks for the input!

Manjaro and Antergos are pretty similar i think.
Updates breaking systems is basiclly a bit of an Arch nature,
it just happens so now and then.
I personally had more luck with Manjaro then with Antergos i have to say.
The antergos installer was allways a pain on my system.
I still love Manjaro Cinnamon or XFCE, so i will definitelly go back to it some day.
The distro i´m currentlly back on Linux Mint with 4.10 kernel, for the sake of convience,
but i distro hop allot.

1 Like

Antergos is much closer to vanilla Arch Linux than Manjaro is, so it suffers from a lot of the same update problems you get in straight Arch (ad hoc package updates, dependency update timing issues, poorly-tested X11 & GPU drivers, etc.).

As far as Manjaro goes, the GUI package management & update tools (Pamac & Octopi) are nice ideas but inferior to using pacman in the CLI for updates -- sudo pacman -Syy and sudo pacman -Syuu have kept things square on my main rig since 2013 with minimal gotchas. Antergos uses Pamac as well, so you end up with the same relative problems on both distros. One thing that I like about Manjaro is that they always post a forum thread when updates are released so one can check for potential problems before updating and report problems when any occur.

Back to the problem at hand: Have you tried setting kdesu to use sudo rather than su?

1 Like

Tried that and several other things. Still, thanks for the input.

I chose another distrobution, for now.