Manjaro; AMD Drivers - HowTO

So I have been using Windows 10 for ages, but I have wanted to get back to Linux for nearly as long as I used it, I found out how to passthrough the one and only GPU you might have in the system, but then again, I have no Idea how to do this with an AMD card. That is however not the issue right now, I have been mining on my GPU while I was away from gaming and streaming, so I’m used to have it on, but that was in Windows, here comes the bigger issue… "/

When I finally got Team Red Miner configured, it gave me an error…
So, it seems I need to install the proprietary drivers.

The options I get is basically “amdgpu-experimental”. I’m using Manjaro which is up-to-date. Anyway! How do I install the drivers needed? I will need them for Steam, Heroic and Lutris etc. later on anyway.

One double question that has nothing to do with this… Why can’t I activate the AUR on Manjaro?

Error message rather seems like a software issue, not an issue with OpenCL

OpenCL issues are not common when installed properly, which manjaro does automatically for you at installation. Where u pick whether to use open source or proprietary drivers…

Is it the latest software version of redminer youre using? If so try reverting to an older build of the software and retry installation and usage. If it doesn’t fix the issue make sure OpenCL and dependencies are installed.

Do u have to use redminer, if not try another miner.

Try playing a game that uses opencl rendering or test the card via terminal commands. glxgears is a rendering testing command among others (gofu is your friend)

I should try an older version. I downloaded 4 different one’s, but I didn’t get gminer to work, when I was trying to start the miner, it just state that “no device found”, so no the drivers don’t work, I didn’t install the proprietary version, since it’s usually recommended for nVidia cards, and I use AMD exclusively.

I can’t get the damn AUR activated either, so I’m a bit pissed of, I think I should reinstall the computer with Arch instead. Use the ArchTitus script (
GitHub - ChrisTitusTech/ArchTitus: Automated Arch Linux Install ), that way all drivers are installed and qemu & virt-manager is also installed, and most of the applications I use etc., but it’s the whole bleeding edge updates that scares me a bit.

It’s my main machine, so I don’t want problems with it.

1 Like

Im not familiar with how gminer works, but installing and running it locally is probably preferred compared to like browser level which is also possible…

It should work out of the box but since it does not, re-installing manjaro with proprietary drivers or instead running mwhd, could be a possible solution. Mwhd has a gui for it called, something like driver manager or something on manjaro which should automate that process.

The AUR should work, with sudo command to enable the repository from the software sources list. If the ‘tick’ isn’t available or something, i would rather u re-download manjaro to make sure u haven’t downloaded a broken or replaced version which has happened to linux iso’s before.

Torrenting is preffered as it’s more accurate, on a file-level. Than for example a http/s download over the browser.

1 Like

I have now started my fourth miner and… It’s the same stuff going on.

I skipped Manjaro, and jumped over to Arch Linux, with the help of Chris Titus Tech’s ArchTitus script on github…

I still have some problems with this. Should I just make a VM pass my gpu and then have lolminer/claymore work through a Windows 10 install? Because that’s basically what it feels like I need to do right now. haha

So I found the AUR for it
git clone AUR (en) - opencl-amd
cd opencl-amd/
makepkg -sri

password >> Enter
Enter for y done… Reboot… BRB.

I fixed it. ^^

1 Like

So there’s a question left, whether the open source open-cl drivers perform better than the proprietary ones. (If it matters, to you)

Also did u check the AUR open-cl version package/s to make sure you’re using the latest ones? Or perhaps there are mining optimized versions in the AUR, not sure haven’t checked…

Either way, if you’re doing it on a hobby level it’s all good…

There are also v-bios optimized graphics firmware out there somewhere and those are possible to install on the card aswell, even though it probably will hamper (if not disable entirely lol) gaming performance, if the card is used for that…

Good that you’ve solved the problem though, good luck with your Arch installation :+1:

1 Like

Lots of trouble with it, the script had missed some packages and settings, so I have been working my ass off to find out answers for a lot of them, that was not what I had in mind when sitting down to use the computer, it was supposed to have a lot of it already working, but it didn’t.

Anyhow, I do game on the computer so I’m not going to optimize it, I have other problems now though. Like vulkaninfo not a command that is existing apparently.

Would recommend going for something like Artix or Manjaro, rather than Pure Arch or EndevourOS. Those do require more know-how and reading than Artix and Manjaro…

Also if u plan to be using it as desktop as opposed to something like workstation or whatever, then even better to use Artix or Manjaro instead, those have their own repos that require much less tinkering…

The commands are somewhat different across distro’s aswell, so rather use something less time consuming than pure Arch or pure-arch based distro’s / scripts.

Give Manjaro or Artix a try. Manjaro has pamac installed so the software-manager is usable after install, compared to installing pamac and / or other packages.

Yeah, I know about that, but I do like the tinkering, the first Linux I really used was Slackware, and I used to be good at it, a lot of reading and remembering etc. I did try Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, and a couple of other distros, even tried to install Gentoo, but even with a guide of like 200 pages, I still didn’t get that going, that was almost 20 years ago now.

I have been using Manjaro, KDE Neon and Linux Mint, and Pop_OS!, but I don’t know, I really love KDE Neon, but I don’t like that I have to upgrade the system every now and then, or even reinstall the damn computer, like it was last time, and why I went back to Windows again. I’m not a big fan of GNOME, so I haven’t really found any interest in Ubuntu/Pop_OS!/Fedora…

I can’t stand the damn color of Manjaro even, it’s a bit too much green, and I don’t want to spend a lot of time fixing the look. ArchTitus is actually really nice looking from scratch, but it has some stuff missing, and I do like using the AUR and Discover together. I installed the Snap Store in order to have some of the few packages that I really want easy access to, such as Spotify, Visual Studio Code and some other stuff.

1 Like

KDE is pretty awesome, same goes for Mint and Pop… So where is the KDE Linux Mint edition?! Or the Pop_OS powered by KDE :smiley:

KDE is also one of the easiest if not THE easiest to configure anyway, with almost every option in the settings menu…

Manjaro is… A bit ugly, jk it’s pretty ugly compared to some of the amazing-looking global KDE themes available.

The AUR is pretty bleeding-edge sometimes in ways not comprehendible by somewhat normies, i tried some ‘beta’ open source drivers, that were enhanced on a user level (from what it looked like) The performance of those d.evel drivers were also top notch.

It can be tough not to fall for Arch, the problem is maintaining and possible headaches along the way, personally i wouldn’t recommend it because of that. Tinkering with grub, broken packages, lists, configs and whatnot… No Thanks… :smiley:

1 Like

You’re not tied down to GNOME with Ubuntu/Fedora they have different flavors like Kubuntu for Ubuntu and Fedora KDE. As for Pop!_OS nothing is stopping you from running KDE on Pop!_OS in fact my two main PCs at home are running just that.

Downsides to that kind of setup is that you don’t get updates to KDE like you would with GNOME on Pop!_OS, but that can also be a good thing if you just want a rock stable build. Run an LTS and just upgrade/reinstall the system once every 2-6 years depending on how frequently you want new applications. Pop!_OS keeps updating the kernel and mesa drivers on their LTS so you aren’t missing much in terms of compatibility/performance running LTS with them it seems like.

Just my experience so far with it having run 20.04 LTS that way. Will definitely be reinstalling the system come the next LTS though I think. Am going to do some testing try some other stuff out, but most likely will just go Pop!_OS 22.04. Reason for not staying on 20.04 even though it’s LTS and I probably could hold on longer is the issue of no updates to apps outside of Flatpaks/Appimages really. There are some bugs that I’ve been dealing with in some apps due to the versions in the repositories that while being minor bugs adds up over time in terms of annoyance.

Hopefully it works out for you, but I am not sure if it will be as long term stable as you are hoping for since you mentioned not wanting to have to reinstall/upgrade with KDE Neon. Haven’t run Arch on a system before have installed it but not run it full time. Played with Manjaro in the past and the problem I encountered a bit back then with rolling distros would be some dependency for something would update, but one of the programs that relied on that library/dependency did not update inevitably creating some kind of bug. Forcing me to go through the logs and see what was updated then figure out what I needed to rollback to the previous versions. Not an experience I personally want on my main system, but I believe it’s better these days than back when I ran it.

Bit of a wall of text, but hopefully will give you some stuff to think about.

1 Like

I want a system that main a specific desktop. Kubuntu is basically broken, or was when I tried it… LONG ago. I like KDE Neon, but it broke with the upgrade last time, and It was a hazard fixing the computer. I don’t know how many partitions that were created for this system since it was a script, but most people don’t make /home and /var their own partitions, for future re-installations…

I don’t want to add a desktop manager to a system that basically focus on it’s competition, but I have seen how the new GNOME looks, and it’s actually a bit interesting, to the degree that I actually think I could use Pop!_OS or Fedora.

I actually like the tinkering etc, that way I dive deeper into the system and learn more, and I feel like I’m actually using my head a bit, when I sit and read about the possible fixes. It’s not like the past anyway, hahaha I used to have lots more problems then I have had now. Slackware didn’t even have a decent package manager. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: haha

2 Likes

Yep that was my experience with it in the past as well which is why I avoided it lol. Seems to be better now though after I’ve looked into it again.

It wasn’t my intention to add another on there but I ended up just not being able to stand GNOME. Didn’t want to reinstall so thought it would be a good test to see just how far things have come in terms of being able to have two DEs installed on a system. Because I remember when I started that was generally a way to end up with a bunch of problems. So far though with me running this on multiple different systems it has honestly been great no issues that I can think of from it. Do wish I could remove some of the GNOME bits. Not the entire GNOME DE since Pop!_OS does rely on it for some stuff if I ever needed to access that, but some of the default apps installed it would be nice if I could remove them. Unfortunately they’re all tied into the same package.

I like tinkering as well, but I am very much so in the camp of wanting the tinkering to happen on my own terms. The last thing I want is to come home from work and have some issue I didn’t want to deal with pop up on my PC. Which is why when I decided I was going to run Linux as my main system I decided on Debian based over anything rolling release, because Debian is rock stable. Outdated, but stable as hell.

2 Likes