Making grounded outlets for UPS

Here in Japan most houses don’t have grounded outlets except for washing machine. Not even my refridgerator has a grounded plug. Then, of course none of my PCs are not earthed.
I would like to have UPS device to protect my computers and NAS from power surges. But most UPS requires grounded outlet.
Some years ago I saw a video on youtube on how to draw a ground wire from grounded outlet and make three pin grounded power strip using it. But there was some caveats on this, if I remember right it is important not to accidentally mix circuits between those grounded and non grounded circuits. If I remember right the guy was basically taping out the existing plugs in the room so that nobody will accidentally try to use them.

I would really like expert advice on this as this sounds somewhat risky for someone who isn’t electrical engineer.
That said, I have worked in media company in Japan and they ran their super expensive workstations and pro audio hardware completely non-grounded.
It might be just forget it and let it be kind of a scenario.

You don’t need that.

Does your panel (or sub panel) have a ground bar? It so you will need to check if it is grounded with a multimeter.

If you answer yes to both you can run a 14ga solid core wire (normally green insulated) to that ground bar to the ground on a three prong outlet.

Now, I do not know Japan’s electrical code so this might require an electrician and the wire color and specs might be different.

They have plastic covers for outlets that you could use to stop people from plugging in.

Final: Check your local, provincial and national electrical code. And talk with an electrician.

2 Likes

look at the plumbing in the house! If it is metal piping you can connect the ground wire to it(providing that the metal pipe is penetrating the house foundation)
but as the others have said contact an electrician in your area for properly grounding an electrical system.
but you might be better of purchasing the correct adapter