Mainboards and undervolting GPU

After setting up my new system I decided to undervolt my GPU, as I had done before on my old one. Interestingly enough, I seem to be able to undervolt my GPU more on my new board, than on my last one. On my last board, anything smaller than -20mV resulted in artifacts, but now I am able to push it down to -35mV without any problem - I will continue to push it down to see how far I can go.
Still, it is interesting that my mainboard is a contributing factor, because I believed this was solely dependant on the GPU.

1 Like

What components do you use? Mainboard/GPU/OS?

oh sure - that would have been interesting as well:

Old PC:
Windows 10
ASRock z68 Pro3
i5 2500K
850W PSU (gold +)
MSI r9 390 oc

New PC:
Windows 10
ASRock X370 Taichi
7 1700X
1000W PSU (gold+)
MSI r9 390oc

Sweet Ryzen Rig! Nice!

And you do the undervolting in the OS or the BIOS? I played with undervolting years ago and i gotta say, i do wanna try that again.

Or do you modify the Firmware of the GPU?

1 Like

I'm u

thnaks

I'm just using Afterburner.

1 Like

Do you think that possibly the 20 degree offset on the R7 1800X and 1700X has an impact here?

I'm not sure if the 20° offset of the CPU could have an influence on the GPU, I strongly assume it is the mainboard. However, I'm not sure.

Possibly it's because it just has better voltage regulation so it can create a steadier current for devices outside their normal operating ranges than your last Mobo.

1 Like