Made the switch to Linux and I'm stuck

So I am using a Ubuntu distro first time with Linux and I am quite impressed graphics card problems are eh skype is eh... but other than that IT's GREAT!!!! so I am trying to install an application which is in Python I cd to the folder run the (python unix-install.py) then it asks for (Path to Python interpreter [/usr/bin/python]:) idk what that is...... or where it goes I tried to search for it but yeah nothing is working.... Any help would be awesome :D



Just a tip, if there are brackets like this [] they contain the default value. If you have python installed then you should be able to hit enter and it will work.

 

great well I feel stupid but now I get this error

VAPRO@VAPRO-HP-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC:~/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0$ python unix-install.py
Path to Python interpreter [/usr/bin/python]:
Processing runme.py...
Processing scripts/googlism.py...
Processing scripts/acronym.py...
Processing scripts/rhyme.py...
Processing scripts/echo.py...
VAPRO@VAPRO-HP-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC:~/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0$ ./runme.py -l
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./runme.py", line 31, in <module>
    import howie.configFile
  File "/home/VAPRO/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0/howie/configFile.py", line 13, in <module>
    from frontends import *
  File "/home/VAPRO/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0/howie/frontends/aim.py", line 6, in <module>
    from twisted.protocols import oscar
ImportError: cannot import name oscar

 I feel stupid :P lol

Are you calling a python script with ./ ? it should be "python /path/to/python.py". And don't worry if you make mistakes, I break parts of my machine on a regular basis because of blatant ignorance.

 

yeah tried for it to load still nothing comes up with a bunch of weird errors this is the guide I was following. I wanted to run HOWIE on an IRC server that I own.. that is the end goal the current goal is to get it to run :P

http://www.marcelgagne.com/content/alice-and-friends-artificial-intelligence-reloaded

Anyone Please help :(

 

Ok this seems pretty interesting so I'll try to install it with you. I'm exactly where you are at, give me a minute. This took a little while, it looks like it's trying to import old twisted packages like oscar. The problem is that oscar has been removed from the most recent releases. You need to install twisted 8.1. Download the tar.bz2 extract it and run setup.py with python2. I have it working, but if you have any more problems just post them.

P-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC:~/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0$ python unix-install.py
Path to Python interpreter [/usr/bin/python]:
Processing runme.py...
Processing scripts/googlism.py...
Processing scripts/acronym.py...
Processing scripts/rhyme.py...
Processing scripts/echo.py...
USER@USER-HP-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC:~/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0$ python runme.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runme.py", line 31, in <module>
    import howie.configFile
  File "/home/ben/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0/howie/configFile.py", line 13, in <module>
    from frontends import *
  File "/home/ben/Downloads/HOWIE/howie-src-0.6.0/howie/frontends/aim.py", line 6, in <module>
    from twisted.protocols import oscar
ImportError: cannot import name oscar

Did you uninstall the previous twisted?

 

crap how do I do that? :( I feel like a fool.

Don't, it's kindof a ridiculous requirement to use old deprecated packages. Try deleting /usr/lib/python2.7/twisted and any other twisted folders you find in that directory and then installing twisted 8.1.0 unless you installed it from a repository. If you installed from source try the above.

wont let me delete it and tried everything still getting the same error... lol I am almost willing to pay someone to get the damn thing working :( I have been trying everything non stop even installed and uninstalled ubuntu. If someone just wants to get on team viewer and fix it lol :P I have just had it up to here ( holds hand above head)  lol that and now wine quit working ugh :(

What program are you trying to install?

Howie from http://www.marcelgagne.com/content/alice-and-friends-artificial-intelligence-reloaded that is just the tutorial I was following and yeah it didnt work :P

I have an IRC chat room and I have been working on a bot I got it to work on windows just not Linux/ubuntu I am trying to stay away from windows lately

You should be able to create a python virtualenv and install the version of twisted you need for that program in there.

Give pidgin and it's plugins a try, it's the best all network type chat program I've found. It does have some limited video chat capabilities as well.

Hey try out Chalet OS it might be a more familier desktop for you, nothing wrong with Ubuntu I like it but you might Like Chalet OS also. :)

I made a post about it here:

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/linux/chalet-os/195072

On the Ubuntu system on which I did my testing, I needed to install the python-twisted-words package as well.

So i think you need to install that first .Go here http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installing.html#install-pip folow the instruction there then with pip installed : or run sudo apt-get install python-pip

then run:

    sudo pip install python-twisted-words

I asume this will install python twisted as well if you don;t have it.

If not install twisted as well you can do that from the software center or from the command line :

   sudo apt-get install python-twisted