M6 Computer portable mini workstation desk

The M6 Computer - portable mini workstation desk

The name is derived from the *Star Trek: TOS episode ‘The Ultimate Computer’. When Captain Kirk outwitted The “evil” M5 computer?
My computer design is one better. It’s a M6.
I started by designing a case mod of the M5 from the TV prop, then the design evolved into this.

Use Case: someone who wants a full gaming PC but doesn’t have room to devote to it or space for a desk.
The M6 Computer can be rolled out to use, and wheeled away when idle.
My design fills the need between a gaming laptop and a desktop setup with a desk and all that entails.

I made this model to look like an 1890’s Art Nouveau steam radiator.

The Exploded view shows the Plywood version.

In the M6 Computer desk PC, the Motherboard low profile case (gray glass) hangs from the underside of
the Red desktop / Monitor stand. Notches and tabs key the side to the top panel.
The Blue desktop / Keyboard / Mouse tray can be rolled out on drawer sliders and rolled back when not in use.
There are tabs on the keyboard tray that fit into slots on the the sides to guide the sliding lower desktop.
Support is provided from the drawer rails.

The entire desk PC case can be made with a single sheet of 4’ x 8’ x 5/8" (1219mm x 2438mm x {corrected16mm}) plywood.

Plus drawer slides, Misc. Metal hardware and PC hardware.

The PC hardware should have plenty of room for a low profile mITX or mATX system case. The intent was to have the bottom, sides, front of the case milled from smoked plexiglass. Or the front and bottom are a single sheet of bent plexiglass and it serves as a removable motherboard tray.

The PC components would be centrally located and 2.1 sound system could easily be integrated into the desk PC case design (as indicated by grilles in the exploded view). Subwoofer and audio amp on one side and SFX PSU on the other.

It is integral to the Industrial Design Intent:
There must be a generous gap between the underside of the case and the top of the keyboard tray to allow the keyboard and mouse to be slid under the upper desktop and PC. Similar to how the Commodore AMIGA 1000 hid it’s keyboard.
Amiga-small

The rear of the desk needs steel K-bracing for stability.
The sides are designed so the front feet are on stationary feet while the rear are on wheels.

Once a user is done with the mini workstation, the keyboard tray can be slid back, and then the entire table can be lifted by the front and rolled back out of the way.

2 Likes

Nice, though I think 10mm plywood is a bit thin for stability. Take a look at similar designs from IKEA or other cheap furniture stores. They tend to have 25mm minimum thickness, and while yes I agree their furnitures often look very meh, I think IKEA tend to use enough material to build sturdy things.

Keep iterating, but right now this will be waaay too fragile. Love the idea though.

1 Like

You are right. I made a mistake.
5/8" thick is 16mm, not 10mm.

Better but still feels fragile and brittle. I would reinforce with a small frame of another half-inch on the inside of the two frames.

Keep iterating, it’s not bad but do ask a friend in mechanics / carpentry / woodworking if they can help you with how to balance the load and make it sturdy, you don’t need to sacrifice nearly as much as you think. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.