LVL1 Fitness thread reboot

I am at the moment tied to physical therapist on weekly basis due to my back. My work is hard and requires lifting a lot. Aside from that I’ve been doing yoga and using exercise bike lately.
I’m looking to get back into more calisthenics and some light weight lifting later to hopefully make my job easier, as well as lose weight of course.
My diet is the worst of the worst. I either eat a lot or none at all.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your back pain. Has your therapist talked about breathing & bracing while working? A good analogy is stepping on a closed soda can vs an open one, so you breathe into your abdomen before lifting to “fill the can” so to speak strengthening your core & back. Dr. Aaron explains it much better:

1 Like

Kind of my issue now too. Younger I had a good ‘gas tank gauge’ I guess, I didn’t enjoy over eating.

Now, I can diet, I can fast, but also I can easily eat a surplus of 1000+ cal a day, everyday. The gauge has become a bit whacky.

3 Likes

Yeah, and fully quantifying energy in vs energy out is pretty difficult.

The carbon app from Layne Norton seems pretty decent for helping to keep track of things.

2 Likes

@candybar She hasn’t. All she’s told is to build strength in that area, which I’ve been trying to do, but mostly only when I’m there.

@Token I’d like to think I’m still young, but my diet is wack or it doesn’t exist at all. I just eat more than I’m supposed to. My water intake is way less compared to something like coffee as well.

2 Likes

Monday’s workout

Strength: Back Squat 3 sets 225x3, 3 sets 255x2, 275x1, 2 sets 285x1

Metcon: for time
Completed in 15:30

• Cash in: 200m Row, then: 15-12-9-6-3
  • Calories echo bike
  • Double DB Squats: 50lbs
  • Burpee over the DBs

1 Like

20 days and counting. :metal:

Quick 30 minute round of strength training intervals for today.

2 Likes

Took a dab here and there from this:

Not the whole bit for sure, but will add more if the sore is not enough the next two days.

2 Likes

Squeeze it like it owes you money

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Definitely a lot of volume…

Def didn’t do his level of volume but it was a motivator to increase my current level pluss some additional types of motions

2 Likes

The goblet squats are good for your core also. Did some of those this morning.

2 Likes

Today’s Workout

Strength: Deadlift 3 sets 225x3, 3 sets 255x2, 3 sets 285x1

Metcon: 20 mins EMOM Score: Total wallbals
Total Wallballs: 108

• 12 ring rows, hand release pushups, rr, hrpu, rr
  • 10 cals ski
  • Max effort wallballs: 14lb wb
  • rest

Edit: forgot to specify strength exercise

1 Like

That is the mindset I have if I’m on a 5x5 type gain phase- edit, actually I think I have that mindset about working out in general. Areas should be made so sore you need two days of recovery, maybe slightly less- and no way can your 9-5 be something physical like construction etc. I suppose I did the same for a cutting phase many years back cause I don’t know of any other thing to do other than reduce calories but keep the same workout and intensity (plus added cardio at the end). I hated that cut, not cause I was hungry, but every week getting weaker and having to reduce the waits- hated that at that age.

Also depends on acclimation. When I did my first 5x5 routine I needed more than two days- I was a newb, my body was newb. Same for Iron Wolf, there were days I did the routine and needed to take a few days to recover. After a few months of his routines I could go day after day.

I miss how strong Iron Wolf made me, it worked muscles that isolation doesn’t. I remember bracing myself to pick something heavy up or move furniture or something and then being surprised how easy it was. I have a shoulder injury that can’t handle Iron Wolf though- I’ve put that option on the shelf, all those burpees causes really bad bicep tendonitis. With all these years of different workouts I feel my pain tolerance is pretty good, and my “good pain” vs. “sh*t, I tore something” meter pretty accurate, and I was convinced I tore something- but was just repeat irritation. I guess I shouldn’t call it shoulder but that is where the pain for that is perceived. It took months off and religious sauna sessions to get rid of.

1 Like

Today the glutes and hammies are feeling it, not so much the quads but that is probably because I’ve focused on quads for months so they are more adapted.

I think I’ll ratchet it up just a bit all around and even more so on quads.

Today is bi/tri and a jog.

Now that my bicep tendonitis is cleared up, I might start dipping in chest/back push/pull again

2 Likes

Another quick one this morning. Let’s play spot the cardio. :yay:

2 Likes

Got Food Poisoning @ truck stop in LA Sunday. Still getting over the last bit of it. Really have not eatten much all week. Mostly liquid diet

1 Like

Hope you feel better soon.

Friday’s workout

Strength: Front Squat 135x5, 145x4, 155x3, 3 sets of 165x2

Metcon: for time
Completed in 13:04

• 60 Calories Row
  • 50 Sit-ups
  • 40 WallBalls - 14lb ball
  • 30 Double DB clean - 20lb DBs
  • 20 Ring rows

3 Likes

An hour of yoga followed by 30-ish minutes of interval training. A sub-100 average heart rate for an hour of yoga must mean the cardio is doing its job. :metal:

2 Likes

I’m digging lower heart rate longer duration cardio, seems to do wonders for my cardio vs higher intensity. Just like there isn’t a one size fits all universal diet or routine and we all feel different and get different gains when doing the same thing, MAF seems more optimal for me.

2 Likes

Goblin mode disengage. :yay:

2 Likes