LVL1 Fitness thread reboot

Honestly it really messed with me at first when I realized that I might not ever have the same potential that I did before I got sick. Couple that with knowing who gave it to me and I was. . . yeah, you see where that is going.

Now I’ve just shifted my expectations and continue to work just as hard as I did before. All will be well :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Part of my frustration was I was in a restricted environment and was lucky to even have airborn with me/smuggled in.

If I was ‘free’ I would have jumped on the drugs and treatments that make some of certain tribes go Reeeeee, cause fug the tribes, this long term stuff is for the birds.

1 Like

Yeah, and if they’re able to exert more force with the same movements, then I guess you could still say they are getting stronger even if there’s no significant increase in muscle mass, or at least more efficient.

2 Likes

Oh yeah and in the spirit of the thread, please share your routine, nutrition, ethos etc.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I was fine all this time but one month at a new plant and some jack off comes to work sick.

It’s healthy to get good and pissed off about it, just be careful not to let it drag you down forever.

Even if no mass was acquired, it still feels good to get better at something, and stronger with what you already have. And for any newbs out there, its also paying dividends to simply get your heart rate up for an extended period of time via activity.

1 Like

Have to pull the ‘could be worse card’- a good buddy of mine died from it. Granted he was overweight, probably type 2 and didn’t know it, drank a lot. So yeah to your point, don’t let it drag us down.

Which brings me back to the spirit of the thread, for people to share their stories here.

Another thing I didn’t mention in the first post, I’ve pretty much quit drinking. I will drink at social events, and being the introvert that I am, that pretty much means totally quit drinking hahahahahahaha… ha… sad… meh

1 Like

Yeah, I more or less have also. Alcohol has a lot of purines which while found in nearly every living thing are not great in excess especially for someone who’s had problems with kidney stones and acidosis.

Or in my case being older + beat the crap out of my liver for many years = I probably don’t process it and recover as I should.

When I was really young and first started drinking, I couldn’t even get hung over, then maybe just a first hour after waking up, then back to 100%, then a few yaers older, they would last for longer periods of the day. Fast forward to my current age and even a few drinks leave me feeling sh*tty for two days. Not hung over with just a few, but not in the mood to use my brain or work out either.

Maybe just age, or something else. Its just way too taxing now.

Alright peeps, its all about consistency- even though I’m sore (caveat, there is ‘good’ sore and ‘bad’ sore, you will feel this out as you go if you are new to this- adjust as necessary), its time for day 21 of Iron Wolf’s beginner program-
Burpee Foundational:
25 1 pumps
25 2 pumps
25 3 pumps
25 navy seals
25 5 pumps

And with all of his stuff all over youtube, if you have any questions of form, style etc, you can plug that into the youtube search. On the right device you can change the play speed to so he is basically a work out buddy at the pace you need it to be.

LETS GET IT DONE!!! (always always do a good warm up first- actually he has great vids on that as well).

Oh before I kick this off, if you are overweight, newb etc and that burpee routine looks too much- I got you fam. When I say I let myself go, I really let myself go. I forgot to mention in my first post that before doing Iron Wolf I had to start with something easier, here is a vid of one of the work outs I would do just to start getting mobility going again.

For the life of me I can’t find the one I did the most that was filmed at a park and a dog went up to him about half way through, but these are other ones of his that are very simular:

10 min:

20 min:

And if this makes your eyes roll, so be it, but listening to some Jocko and Goggins can do some good. So many times I would just put it off till the next day, then the next day, or ‘oh my shoulder hurts’, or “i know how to get into shape, I’ve done it before, I’ll do it later” just like procrastination of homework.

No

Get after it, tell that inner little b*tch that says “not today” to f^ck off. Its a long road, so get on it now.

If this turns into a AMA thread, I’m no expert, but I’ve wrestled with fitness, styles, nutrition trends etc for decades and will try to answer any question as candidly as I’m comfortable with. I also have an EMS background and part of my motivation is from seeing what years and years of neglect does to people. 40 year olds partially paralyzed and un-able to speak due to strokes, having to get driven into dialysis a few times a week. Young obese people with obese people problems requiring use to get the obese patient ‘tarp’ out to carry them out of the house like a bunch of ants moving a big thing.

A lot of these problems we eat and sit our way into, and once past a certain point you can’t exercise and diet your way out of.

DON’T GIVE YOURSELF UP, don’t put it off till tomorrow, then again the next day. DON’T sell yourself short, don’t talk yourself out of it. If you are fat and depressed and have no drive, I get it, I’ve been there. You have to transcend that a body at rest stays are rest, you have to somehow ignore your inner decent and brain f^ck yourself out of not moving, and JUST GET UP AND GET AFTER IT!!!

2 Likes

People like Jocko and Goggins will often be the first people to tell you to just do what you can do.

Ok, well maybe less so Goggins, but still. Even if it’s just a few minutes everyday it’ll make a difference if you stick to it and do it every single day.

1 Like

This- all day. Listen to their message and it isn’t all meat-head blabber, its just good ole’ fashioned ‘get up, do what you can do, aim to do more tomorrow’ stuff. For some it can be a jump start.

For me lately its my music playlist, it helps jazz me up.

For an AMA part, I’m down for whatever- injuries I had to get over, ups, downs, hell I’ll even scan my latest blood work including hormones (PII removed) and how I was pre-diabetic before that. EMT stories, some of the patients that really stuck with me, further solidifying what I already thought about fitness being more for quality of life than anything else. Lessons learned from various diets, having IBS. Having diagnosed fat malabsorption. WHEN I SAY I can relate- I have been fat, fatigued and malnourished- with massive depression. Yes, you can absorb carbs no problem and malabsorb all sorts of other vital nutrients- YOU CAN BE FAT AND MALNOURSISHED putting you in some seriously bad head space (as this really messes with your hormones, adrenal glands etc).

I have a lot of empathy now- I have been super fit and on cloud 9, and I’ve been really fat, in the pits with crazy depression. What I will put in this thread is from experience and not from motivational youtube vids.

Welp day 21 down. I might have tweaked my left shoulder, if so, I can divert to just jogging.

1 Like

I want to dive into this a little bit.

At first I was upset when reading that Robert Pattinson said he wasn’t going to work out for the Batman role.

Later I saw the movie and again from my life experience, I could tell he did in-fact work out. Maybe not noticeable if one is used to all the gear infested actors of late.

Later saw a vid of him admitting he said he wasn’t going to work out as a joke, and that he was doing two-a-days and even metering his water intake before certain takes. But if you look at his bod, its clear he was natty.

MAJOR kudos to Pattinson for being like the real Batman character and not doing something he felt unethical because of external pressures. And peeps re-watch those scenes- that body that has nothing on Wolverine, Thor etc is a natty still getting top shelf trainer and diet coaching. That is someone that was even restricting water intake for certain scenes.

Don’t be discouraged by this new standard of being massive and shredded that is absolutely impossible to obtain naturally, and super super hard to obtain even when geared to the gills.

Robert, apologies for my initial reaction, and thank you for breaking the current norm.

Get after it folks, f^ck the fakeness out there, its about you and you alone. The benefits of good health is not just looks, the body chemistry of healthy habits will change your world, it will zap depression, it will give you energy, it will age you gracefully.

I do like 15 minutes of Ring Fit Adventure a day, mainly to force myself to move a bit.

1 Like

Do you match this with diet modifications as well?

I started doing yoga in the mornings again. I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning, but I did and spent an hour or so getting loosened up. I might start adding another session in the evenings also.

I spend a lot of time sitting in a chair, and we’re not really made for sitting. :rofl:

1 Like

…my monthly cheese delivery subscription says no. xD It really is the movement I’m going for rather than any desire to actually lose weight. If I can continue to jog up two flights of stairs at work without needing a rest I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Younger me would laugh at yoga. Older me, I’ve heard so many good things about it.

I would do some youtube yoga routines but didn’t get consistent. Its cool how yoga can range from easy to super hard- pick your level.

1 Like

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. There are still some things I legit cannot do, but are second nature to someone who’s made a regular practice out of it, so yeah it can be quite the rabbit hole. That’s usually because of flexibility rather than strength in my case, but both of those things can be worked on.

I think most people still think of yoga as something people do when they’re already super healthy, and so a lot of people don’t turn to it as an easier way become active which is a real shame.

1 Like

Yeah I say that not assuming your size, but rather just that intake and exercise have a very close relationship and bad diet can almost null and void exercise- not talking weight but even just health indicators like blood chemistry, blood pressure etc.

I’m about to ramp up cardio. There seems to be a relation between heart rate and longevity, as if we have a finite amount of beats… anyhow all the cardio studs I know have crazy low resting heart rates. I want haha.