Lutris running space engineers on wine

I am trying to run space engineers on Ubuntu Mate on my Dell XPS 9560 which has a GTX 1050 and a quad core hyper-threaded I7. Steam keeps saying updating Microsoft VC Redist package and staying on this particular screen without continuing any install or allowing me to launch the game. I have tried installing the required packages from the executables in order to install the required packages without triggering steam, this did not provide any solution.

Pretty confused on how to proceed so any help is definitely appreciated.

First thing is to not wrap your question in a block quote, so we can read it.

sorry about that.

No worries. Didn’t mean to come off grumpy, I haven’t had my coffee yet. :wink:

I’m going to have to look at the lutris script to see what’s going on, but I’ve got a feeling it’s not configured the wine tricks properly.

1 Like
{

“winesteam”: {
“version”: “staging-3.12-x86_64”
},
“installer”: [
{
“task”: {
“name”: “create_prefix”,
“prefix”: “$GAMEDIR/prefix”,
“arch”: “win64”
}
}
],
“game”: {
“appid”: 244850,
“prefix”: “$GAMEDIR/prefix”,
“arch”: “win64”
}
}

This is the script that Lutris provided for it.

Yeah. I see it and I’m trying to work on a solution for it on my system.

I’ll update when I have something.

Awesome thanks for the help!

Have you tried this:

I haven’t, I will give it a go and see if this yields results.

I’m having trouble even getting Steam installed through Lutris, so I’m at a bit of a sticking point.

I think I am going to have to flat out reinstall steam and wine most likely. It seems the stagings are all over the place. The i386 latest is 3.11 I believe but seems to not like it either.

Yeah, I can’t even figure out how to get the damn Steam runtime installed.

@FaunCB, I remember you were touting the benefits of Lutris before. Any clues?

Try this Steam . It works for me for some games not white-listed .

I don’t know much about the state of lutris or steam on Linux but I do know that SE specifically went dx11 some time ago. You’re going to have to change your build in steam back to dx9 to get going I’m pretty sure.

Oh shit, you’re kidding. Did I miss some sort of announcement?

So, this is more or less a wine/dxvk wrapper for windows games? Dope!

We’re not that far along yet. I am aware of that problem though.

I wonder if it’s necessary to run that installer package or if the exe will launch outside of the steam launcher.

That beta Linux steam looks promising.

That’s the thing. Lutris is a sort of wrapper that automates everything. Which is where I’m getting frustrated. It’s silently failing on me, no errors, no console output, no debug logs so I can’t fix the problem.

They have just opened the beta .

1 Like

Right but wine is already there because of lutris right? I don’t know. I’m just talking out of my ass.

I might just have to test it now.