Hey I currently have both steam and lutris installed, proton 4.11 is installed,

In lutris DXVK_HUD : devinfo,fps or DXVK_HUD : full or DXVK_HUD : 1

does nothing when using proton 4.11 in Lutris with GOG Games

changing user_settings.py file to

"DXVK_HUD": "devinfo,fps",

instead of

#     "DXVK_HUD": "devinfo,fps",

doesn’t do anything either

How do you get the HUD running in Proton without Steam?

Not sure which file you’re referring to here, but you can just set the environment variable int he game settings:

1 Like

Ya environment variables don’t work in my situation.

I’m trying to run two games that use the vulkan api in windows, No Man Sky and Surge 2

Lutris 5.2 doesn’t work, but Proton 4.11 does work

The configuration file is called user_settings.py and it is located in the “Proton 3.7” directory. You can either manually create the file, or edit the sample configuration user_settings.sample.py by renaming it to user_settings.py

steam launch option DXVK_HUD=fps,devinfo %command%

I don’t use steam, I’m simply pointing out the Proton instructions

What I’ve been working on overall is I’ve created a single wine prefix that has GOG Galaxy 2.0 installed, Cheat Engine and a 300 plus game library.

Large majority of DX9, DX10, DX11 games work currently using Lutris 5.2, DXVK 1.5.5, D9VK 0.40.1. Surprisingly the wine prefix will change from DXVK to D9VK on the fly within GOG Galaxy 2.0 in wine.

With GOG Galaxy 2.0 I get cloud sync and automatic updates that work most of the time.

But the two Vulkan games in the library No Man’s Sky and The Surge 2 won’t run with Lutris 5.2 and then GOG Galaxy 2.0 doesn’t work with Proton 4.11.

At the same time I can easily change the executable in the prefix to games specific and both No Man’s Sky and The Surge 2 run fine using proton 4.11, more like more then fine “The Power of Vulkan”.

Unfortunately DXVK_HUD doesn’t seem to work when running a game that uses the vulkan api nor am I getting any luck with Steam Proton’s HUD using the user_settings.py

It’s all a bit strange as I know DXVK is designed to convert direct x to vulkan but this is DXVK simply converting vulkan to vulkan or windows to linux however you want to say it.

I’m certain that’s the reason the issue is occurring.

I’m curious why Lutris 5.2 isn’t working with vulkan games while Proton 4.11 is currently working.

But then you are also not using DXVK.
DXVK is a translation layer for DX10 and DX11 to Vulkan.
So if you’re not using DXVK, it’s obvious the HUD settings for it won’t work.

Actually not surprising because both just replace DX9 or DX10/DX11 .dll files respectively. If both are installed in the prefix, both replace their respective files. It just doesn’t conflict because a game obviously ever only uses one API at a time.

No. DXVK isn’t even used here.
Since Vulkan is natively supported on Linux, the API calls are passed through from WINE to Linux 1:1, literally nothing is done with them.

TBH I have no idea what you’re referring to with this the whole post.
Lutris doesn’t run anything on its own. It’s a game library that passes a bunch of settings to the runner (e. g. WINE), and nothing else.
If you mean WINE 5.2, I wouldn’t know from the getgo.

I’m using runner/wine/lutris 5.2, but it won’t run vulkan games.

Where Proton 4.11 does run vulkan games.

If dxvk isn’t used is they’re an alternative to view a vulkan HUD in WINE?

Not sure what that’s about, should work fine. But I have no Vulkan games to test with.

Haven’t really looked into it. Steam Overlay probably can, but you say you’re not using it so…

Forum search results in this:

The linked GitHub Repo mentions a Mesa Vulkan Overlay, a Google search for that sends you here:

So maybe look around in that.

MangoHUD works brilliantly on native Vulkan games. It’s way more customizable than the Mesa HUD and works on Nvidia.

I thought that would be the case, I’ve had issue’s getting it installed so far, after

./build.sh install

I get

ninja: Entering directory build/meson32' ninja: error: loading 'build.ninja': No such file or directory ninja: Entering directorybuild/meson64’
ninja: error: loading ‘build.ninja’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘build/release/usr/lib32/libMangoHud.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘build/release/usr/lib64/libMangoHud.so’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘build/release/usr/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/mangohud.json’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘build/release/usr/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/mangohud.json’: No such file or directory
sed: can’t read build/package/MangoHud/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/mangohud32.json: No such file or directory
sed: can’t read /home/dp27thelight/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/mangohud32.json: No such file or directory
sed: can’t read /home/dp27thelight/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/mangohud64.json: No such file or directory

unfortunately my satellite internet is making the experience brutal. I’m a bit capped on and waiting for data reset on the 8th.

Get the pre-built packages in the releases. The manual build may require more debugging.

Also you didn’t specify what you even cloned. If you’re cloning the master, that is usually the development branch so breakage is expected because it might just be in restructuring.

If anything clone/checkout a tag or a specific release-commit.

I made the mistake of trying to build the master, I got the release file now and ran ./install.sh.

Everything works great, MangoHUD is amazing you can even set custom frame caps in both DXVK and Vulkan.

In the case of Surge 2 it’s using Vulkan not DXVK. With every wine version I’ve been unable to use vulkan only dxvk other then Proton 4.11 and Proton 5.0. I thought recent wines should all work with Vulkan anybody know why this seems to be happening?

Try GloriousEggroll’s custom Proton builds that are based off of Wine-Staging. Proton is not actual Wine, it’s Wine with spices added. (not literally, it’s not using VMs)

I’ll check that one out when my internet is reset or go to a cafe. Why would wine not work with a vulkan game? That’s my main curiosity, I though all wine builds would play nice with vulkan games, but it seems only Proton does with the one’s I’ve tested so far.

There’s a loader DLL called winevulkan and it’s different across different Wine forks.

Gotcha, I got GloriousEggroll’s and works with GOG Galaxy 2.0 and can run vulkan games.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 looks to be making some games stutter, not surprising, but at the very least I can use GloriousEggroll’s to run most games without the client and to just run the client for cloud syncs and updates.

Thanks for the help