Lumaforge Jellyfish - What is this thing?

Someone asked me about one of these today. I’ve never seen a piece of server hardware with so little/nonexistent technical detail. Does anyone know what’s actually under the hood in this thing?

Apple-esk design, photos that do not really relate to the subject and no tech specs. Looks like a product for Apple people.
Spec wise, there is nothing:

Will look for info elsewhere, but I can´t promise anything.

Edit:
That is not a PSU I would want in a server/NAS environment…
source

1 Like

I read a review of that one somewhere and it mentioned that it cost $8k… so that’s nuts.

That puts in in competition with the proper servers (HPE ML350 G10 & Supermicro 4028GR-TR2).

Will it let me run Win 7 on a thread ripper?

Will what let you run Win7 on TR?
You are a bit cryptic here.

Win7

I run Win7 HP 64bit on a Ryzen7 1700X on an ASRock X370 Gaming K4. You either need to bake in USB3.0 drivers into the Win7 .iso before attempting installation (can´t boot from USB, so make sure to get an internal DVD drive). And PS/2 mouse&keyboard will also make your life easier.
As for Threadripper, if it is not worse, the pain during installation will be about the same.

I run Win 7 U on an ASUS X99-E WS. I didn’t have to bake or slip stream anything but then that’s one of Intel’s few advantages on vintage CPUs. Funny you should mention PS2 as that was one of my first complaints about this system board – there wasn’t any. I love the potential, options, possibilities etc. Thread Ripper offers but swallowing that Win 10 pill just ain’t workin’ so good.

Thanks for the advice

This topic is a bit old but I was browsing and came across it. For those in the future who may find this thread here is some information on this system:

From here you can see it’s running CentOS with an Intel E5-2620 v4.

The case is a custom Lian-Li M25. Bigger drive cage + handle mostly it seems.
http://www.lian-li.com/pc-m25/

From most reference pictures it would seem like the drives themselves are HGST + 2 SSDs.

This is the motherboard as best as I can tell:
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4U-2T8R#Specifications

Notice the rear I/O matches all the photos of the back of the JellyFish + the specs match + this video:

Add in the Cooler Master PSU, 64 - 128GB of ECC RAM and whatever add-in cards they use for expanding 10Gb + external HBA card and you’ve got their system.

Well, except for their GUI that makes setup easy on Mac.

I ended up custom building a solution that combines the idea of this JellyFish system with a G-Tech 8TB SSD shuttle.

It’s a pretty niche use case machine and their version of it is extremely expensive if you know how to roll your own services.

Hope this helps someone who may stumble on this dead thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey usul,

Awesome breakdown. I’ve seen these things in action and the performance is amazing. Wondering if the using a server board and CPU makes a difference with the transfer rate, or is it because there is a LSI 3008 SATA controller for the drives?

‘But its 4 thousand dollars its gotta be good!’

That is some linus level shit right there. Lets send one to him and watch him drop it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I bet he will. I’m asking only becoz I want to create a server for video editing. We should be able to make the same thing on an ex-gaming rig right?

You can make anything into anythintg my guy.

If you have a machine that would do what you want, yes you can just throw it on the network as a headless render server.

1 Like

Time to get cracking then

Question: will the SATA controller onboard the mobo be as fast as getting a separate HBA controller?

I mean if you get sas its sas. You’re limited by your driwes really.

I would look into it more than a retired workstation. If at least watch a few vids. Linus has some about unraid and freenas.

I’ll getting SAS HBA card only if it is faster. I’ll still be using SATA HDD.

Then you’re still limited by your drive. No point to getting an hba unless you want to upgrade later

Noted. Thanks again