LTT Review of the L1 KVM

“Just always listen to wendel and your life will be good” ~ Linus G. Sebastian, 2023

This was a fun watch

5 Likes

I’ve been wanted to switch from my duel 4k display port star tech to something that supports usb3 for a while. I think I’ll finally bite on this. And I will absolute do it if its compatible with the ultimate hacking keyboard (UHK). I have so many issues with that keyboard switching between computers and it just locking up (this is likely a keyboard issue and not the KVMs fault). The keyboard does a lot of jank and I wish the hotkeys would work :confused: I might start hacking on that firmware again and see if I can fix it. Anyone else deal with this? Or am I just that one person

“mouse roaming”? In hardware!?

now I just need Wendel to make a KVM extender with fiber interface so I can stop paying for Icron.

5 Likes

A YouTube comment:

"I’ve been wondering if there was some way for me to use my work laptop seamlessly with my personal monitors and peripherals, and a good KVM switch seems to be exactly what I need.

One thing that’s a bit sad about KVM’s acting as invisible switches and not as their own devices is that (I assume) it means you can’t merge signals. For example I can’t listen to the audio from two connected PCs at the same time, which is unfortunate since that is something I’d really like to do. I need the audio from my work laptop at all times to receive calls and notifications, but I also want the audio from my personal machine at all times because that’s where I have all of my music. So being able to switch everything but keep audio merged would be perfect for my use case."

Is there a solution for the LTT viewer? I don’t have experience with the KVMs.

Not through a KVM, but my GOXLR does this pretty well. You could also use software like Virtual Audio Cable to input and output audio to the other system through line in/out.

My setup is pretty kinda stupid, but it’s a goxlr with line in/out hooked up to a DAC/ADC combo unit then to my laptop. I get a dedicated fader for independent desktop and laptop audio levels and a mute button that I can mute to either system or both depending on how I configure it.

3 Likes

@wendell Hey wendell, I obviously watched this video on LTT and wondering 2 things.

1. Is the 4-Port KM Switch with USB 3.2 Gen 1 Mouse Roaming Function essentially analogous to using synergy or barrier? (I use barrier after the debacle that was synergy 2.0)
  2. When will you get them back in stock? because if number 1 is correct, I want one…

Does this work with extended displays?
I have a 3 monitor setup with 2 computers. I have a laptop monitor + 2 external ones. The laptop has an extended display between the laptop monitor and one of the external monitors.

Also, I only need a port 2 version, as probably many other people working from home. Would be nice to get a cheaper 2 port option.

Had success in this by using soundcard with spdif-in.
But it will not share microphone.

Yeah, i think L1 KVM’s are gonna go out of stock for now :stuck_out_tongue:

They are out of stock a ton

The past month must have been hard on poor Wendell’s mental health:

1. Earlier this summer: “Great, we’re getting positive coverage on a main-channel LTT video! The exposure will surely drive a lot of new customers to us! What could go wrong at this point?”

2. August 14th, 2023 - …

3. “How much time is enough time…?”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yamaha AG03 and an Aux cable (or 3.5mm TRS to 2x 6.3mm TS cable).

Plug the headset into the sockets on the AG03, have it be a USB-interface for one computer and wire it up via analog to the other computer.
Easy.

Most laptops have speakers, I just use those while off-kvm and switch back as I hear notifications. Though in a sound sensitive environment or any kind of shared space that might not be acceptable.