LTT - "Microsoft should be afraid" introduction to linux gaming

@Yoray I use POP!_OS as well. It is more than just Ubuntu GNOME with a reskin.

I’ve said it a few times already but there are other things under the hood.

They do have a proprietary repo for their firmware for their machines so if you have a S76 computer you can get firmware updates shipped instead of having to first install them with windows then wipe like on other machines.

1 Like

I don’t know, for me it helped quite a few times and i believe it can help to most general fuck ups of an update.

Haha maybe it’s just because when I break a system it is indeed a level of broken the easy things won’t fix.

2 Likes

A restore point also deletes files. I tested it in Windows 7. I made paint, and text files in my documents and pictures folders. Made a restore point just before, and after I made the files I then went and used my restore point. The files were gone.

I should rephrase, a restore point will delete files on the main drive. It won’t touch files on a separate drive. And it will also uninstall some things. I’ve gotten rid of a couple viruses back in the day on family hardware at the time thanks to restore points.

But I’m saying making something similar, or something that is like a restore point, but more fleshed out for Linux. If you get my meaning.

1 Like

A restore point is not the same as backing up your personal files.
Windows 7 in particular has a backup tool build in for that.
On linux you could make snapshots, or use timeshift or whatever tool.
But again that only restores the OS.
Some distro’s also have a backup tool build in to backup files.
But of course you could also install your home directory on a separate drive,
if you like to switch distro’s allot.

1 Like

well most of the installations I did of linux split the home folder in another partition making sure a system re-installation wont delete your files. But if that Data is important for you, you should have a backup for sure.

1 Like

I understand your point. But if we want Linux to be nearly as successful as Windows or for it to dominate over windows and have comparable install bases/market share we need to start taking into account the noobs or ‘‘plebians’’. Making it simpler for people is gonna have to start becoming a priority. And people no matter how you try, are not allways gonna want to go the complicated route. And to be honest, backing everything up separately like that is complicated. On Linux doubly so. So a tool that is easy to use, and back up everything including the OS and personal files. Which lets face it. Normal people use the folders on the main drive anyway. Documents folders, pictures folders, video folders. Which all reside on the main drive anyway. Something that could be easy to use, and is included in the operating system, or an actual part of the operating system would work wonders for the 98 percent of people that use computers.

That’s why Android seems to be so popular. And IOS. Because they have simple backup features that are already part of the phone. Nobody wants to have to search out an alternative. Most just do it out of necessity.

Yup, but that probably is unlikely ever going to happen i think.
Like i said linux orbits around the same old chicken and egg problem.
This also maybe caused by the minds of its core users maybe idk.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Linux has to change if it’s ever going to be the alternative to Windows everyone wants it to be. Elitism just plain out doesn’t work anymore in this day and age. It’s harmful to the community, and harmful to those who are looking for a way out of the grasp of uncle Microsoft.

1 Like

At the same time, a lot of the plebs want a Windows that is Open Source, not a UNIX-based operating system like Linux.

It is fine to want this, but I think it’s a disservice to many to simply make Linux work as closely to Windows as possible. They aren’t the same thing, and they shouldn’t be. Make it more friendly to newbies by all means, but please, PLEASE don’t force us to run as root, use a start menu, have everything OS-related in the file tree under a Linux catalog and other Windows-isms. :face_vomiting:

If you want an open source Windows there is always ReactOS though…

Biggest issue is the Anti-Cheat Ban stuff, yeah rather not deal with shitty companies

Linux desktop (and as a result games) is a hobby. Microsoft don’t really have anything to be afraid of.

1 Like

I’m not meaning to make Linux exactly like Windows. By all means NO. But I meaning someone should make a distro that is relatively easy to use. Maybe still technical enough for people who are familiar with Windows who already tinker with it, but keep graphical stuff and the like easy to use, and a backup system that includes the OS as well as the personal files people tend to put in the usual places. I hope that makes sense.

Running as root is a no-no. And we already in many distros use a ‘‘start menu’’ it’s just called something else. And I think the way Linux is set up file system wise is actually very easy to use as it is. There could be an easier Help setup. Like the help/trouble shooter gui thing they have in Windows. At least make it distro specific of course. That kinda thing.

I can think of a ton more little things that seem to be overlooked on most distros that I think most devs, and Linux savy users forget about that newbies need. I remember that the Windows Vista help trouble shooter was SO helpful when I got Vista. And even the troubleshooter for Win 95 was useful.

I see this has more or less devolved into the typical Linux REEEE of FOSS ethics, distro wars, and “gaming isn’t what linux is for”

My heart is warm to see the gatekeeps at their posts, shepherding new people back into the arms of ignorance

1 Like

See, and I don’t see Windows or Linux as strictly for Gaming. Both have their uses, and both have their draw backs. I just don’t see as many people willing to criticize Linux, as much as Windows these days.

In what way? Linux desktop is a mess.

1 Like

Yeah, but I never hear people criticize Linux, as much as they do Windows.

Don’t get me wrong, I have definite gripes with Windows. If I didn’t I’d be on it now. I wouldn’t be on Ubuntu. Windows for me peaked with Windows 7 to a point, but probably more Windows XP. And I did like Windows 10 for a time because the backwards compatibility for my older games and such actually worked till Microsoft borked it up.

But a for instance for me is that almost every distro doesn’t have a simple way to go into monitor settings. Or get into GPU settings. Right now everything I’ve tried with the exception of Nvidia cards sometimes you have to adjust settings in terminal or edit config files from terminal. I’ve never seen a ui tool, or graphical interface for graphical settings. Like I said, there was one exception, when I had my GTX 460 hooked up to my Ubuntu install. But that lasted like a month before i got the AMD card.

Sound settings in most distros I tried were sparse. So far in Ubuntu, to remap my sound imputs and outputs I’ve had to fiddle with Pulse audio in the terminal. Cause the one graphical tool I could find would crash anytime I unplugged or plugged something new in.

The fact that to tweak any graphical settings in Gnome, or Cinnamon or a couple other desktop environments, you have to have a separate tweaking tool.

Most graphical software centers suck ass at this point. and have a tendency to crash. which leaves installing software in the terminal the only safe way to do it. Or use synaptic package manager. Which is in my opinion for a newbie hard. Unless you know exactly what you’re looking for.

Or the fact that keyboard shortcuts unless you’re talking about Ubuntu derivatives (and even some of those differ) are not the same. Or change from distro to distro.

Never mind alot of the really big things that I see complain about day after day about how X is old and needs to be replaced, Wayland is taking too long and doesn’t work real well cept for in Fedora. Package managers practically change from distro to distro unless again you’re using an Ubuntu derivative.

I get alot of the appeal for many of us Linux nerds is the fact that Linux is customizable and that you have total control of the computer. But for alot of basic users, all they want their operating system to do is surf the web, play a handful of games (which isn’t the majority I know), and work without forcing updates - but will help you almost automate major security updates, and for it to be dead stable.

Most people don’t care about up-to-the-minute current software. As long as it works, is relatively new, and is stable most just use it.

I’m just saying there needs to be a distro that is MEANT to be for the potential new users. Not one that is kinda newbie friendly, but there is still a learning curve.

Your kidding right?

The amount of ‘urgh, he is using #insertdistronamehere… burn the witch!’ comments I hear is crazy.

Yeah, you see that alot. But most people don’t ever go into their gripes about their own distro of choice is what I’m saying.

And i’m a firm believer that if it’s good enough for you, you ought to have some legitimate complaints about how it could be better.

Otherwise, I ignore comments like what you’re saying