LTT 1 month Linux Challenge thread

Not really irony.

Linux as the base system is “ready”, for basically anything you throw at it. Of course the software needs to support it, and that’s no different on Windows. Windows is certainly ready, but a shitty game can still not work properly (see also the aforementioned older games).

1 Like

You can blame the game developers all you want, the fact is that 99% of “gamers” use windows, so it only makes sense for them to spend their effort towards windows development.

I’m not blaming anyone, I’m simply stating the fact that stuff can just not work on a system for whatever reason. I never said or implied it’s the developer’s fault it doesn’t work.

But since you brought it up, it would be nice if studios just called up their BattlEye/EAC reps to enable Proton support because that’s about all they have to do. That’s beside the point tho.

Oh yeah I remember he mentioned about that on wan show. He found it eventually, but getting multiplayer was a pain.

Well I haven’t actually tried that Lutris script, gotta say that.
But from what I can tell on the Lutris discord the devs are pretty on top of things when it comes to updates and issues, so I can hardly imagine it not working tbh :thinking:

1 Like

One big question is, when is a new tech ever 100% ready to take over? It pretty much never is, but as it reaches more and more maturity the less sharp the edges become, and the more the use increases the less people get bothered by said sharp edges, to the point where today, no one gives a damn anymore about most of Windows flaws.

Just look at the Smartphone transition - in the beginning they weren’t even ready to replace phones, you couldn’t even make a call to a regular phone with the first iPhone! Linux is totally ready today if you don’t mind the sharp edges until the rest of the world catch up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am grateful I found VFIO when I did, and planning HEDT computer builds to meet that need so I could get around most of the Proton/Wine issues by running a VM, but both have the same anti-cheat issues.

But if you want a single player game to be guaranteed to work (given you allocate/pin cores/memory properly) a Windows VM allows that for not just Steam, but the other storefronts too.

I would feel far more comfortable playing my GOG DRM-free copy of a Windows game on Windows than dealing with DXVK and Lutris. GOG scripts for Windows games on Lutris most of the time just don’t work.

Yeah, except as already mentioned… It is often easier to get games released before 2010 working on a Linux system with wine than a Windows 10 VM. So the argument is not perfect.

That said, Linux is not at the point where it is just pick-up-and-play yet… Though, slowly getting there with Lutris and Steam. Not all games though.

1 Like

This for me is the largest problem… For example:

These are my main launchers and combined with a couple of the anti-cheat games which show no interest in opening up their platform, it makes it so that I’d pretty much be running everything in a VM or stick to dual booting.
That’s just so much of a hassle (for me) that I’d rather just stick to Windows because “it just runs”. Yes… I know that Windows can and does have its own issues in that regard, but overall it is just a lot easier to just pick up a game and play it.

While I find it wonderful that Lutris and Steam make it so much more accessible in Linux to play games. For me the “plug & play” ability of Windows is way more convenient.
And as long as the general support for gaming on Linux isn’t there, I see no way for me to switch my main desktop.

Like they mentioned in the earlier videos; for general office, media consumption and productivity use it works great and, in some cases, even easier that Windows.
I had switched over to Linux on my work laptop for instance, because all the applications I used were web-based anyway. That (largely) worked great and I would do that again if I have the option.
And I had my mum run Linux on her old laptop, because I could make it less resource heavy and get some extra life out of her machine. For her use case it didn’t even matter too much what OS she ran, though she did need me for maintenance on it.

All in all, Linux is a lot more accessible nowadays and that’s great. But as far as I’m concerned it is a different tool than Windows, which should be put to use for different tasks.
Overlap is fine, but I don’t mind using different systems as long as each has their specific task. And for general gaming, Windows still is more accessible. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Re: the topics of launchers, why does the Windows world insist om copying broken ideas :stuck_out_tongue: Ideally there should be one launcher with multiple backend storefronts.

I don’t want to wait 2-3 minutes to launch Origin just to play some Battlefield or whatever, nor do I want Origin to eat a few hundred megs of memory the 90% of the time I do not use it.

Substitute Origin for whatever other launcher you use. It is such a broken concept. But I digress.

Launchers are indeed quite a topic on themselves… :sweat:
I get that they’re the modern distribution and the first, most basic, form of DRM. They make a lot of games far more accessible and that’s great.
But I would love to see more freedom in stores instead of most things being stuck in a single one… That would make your game library more independent, which distributors might now want though.

But yeah, we’re stuck with those and I doubt that they’ll go away in the coming decades :sweat_smile:

1 Like

well its been a fun watch.
as im new to linux myself i wanted to know if my problems with it were commonplace.
turns out they were.
i also agreed with linus’s final thoughts. for an every day o.s. that does everything. linux isnt there yet.
yes it does data very well. but recreation?. still needs a LOT of work.

as for his this is why people game on console… he’s conveniently forgot that most consoles are updating as often as pc’s now and it may be a plug and play experience, but its VERY flawed too.

all in all i think he did exactly what he set out to. show us linux isnt there yet for joe public.
and did a 10/10 job imo.

2 Likes

It also adds to the problem of the resource hog that is CEF being common amongst all of them. Simple low resource use UIs are now a thing of the past. Now everything is super resource intensive HTML5 and CSS.

It’s like making a Flash Player EXE an interface to a CLI and saying Flash Player is what everyone is gonna be using. CEF and a Flash Player EXE (and heck Electron) are not too dissimilar in it’s current use cases.

1 Like

Its almost like it’s telling me to ditch my windows PC for gaming (and switch to Linux for Desktop) and just go with consoles. No way I’ll abandonmy Steam account now.

I’ve made my peace with myself regarding multiplayer gaming. I’m at the age where I can neither spend my time in persistent online worlds like MMOs nor compete in online FPS or competitive multiplayer in general (DOTA 2 and the like).

Should I want to partake in them again,I’m fine with CS:GO, Planetside 2 and maybe ARMA III. I honestly wish I could play PUBG again as I was there in the beta days when I was still in Win10 circa 2018 but the masssive and intense cheating situation certainly pushed me away from Win10. I really dont play LoL and Valorant. I am also not interested in buying games from the likes of Activision-Blizzard, EA and Ubisoft.

In the end I wish there was a more positive spin to stay in Linux because its not so bad if you stay in the Ubuntu’s and maybe the Fedora’s as well. More work is required to run as you go towards more niche distros. I wish they also tested the official paid support from Ubuntu and maybe Zorin.

1 Like

At least linux got some attention from LTT, that should be okay even if the verdict was less so.

Although something like Pop_OS popping out and offering bleeding edge support (supposedly) and does it well. Should include secure-boot. Cmon, even ubuntu AND MINT has it. It’s not like an impossible implementation. Go to the draw-board and get it done already, so people can use a feature that’s already super-old tech. And most likely also is more of an help than not…

I kept saying this way before this series even began, but the best thing you can do is to use a Linux PC as your daily driver, even an Ivy Bridge i5 laptop, but obviously something newer will run better, and use a separate Windows PC as a console. You get all the benefits of having GOG, Steam and the compatibility with older titles (to some degree), while on your daily activities, you get the freedom, customization and most importantly (at least for me) the efficiency that Linux offers.

Why do I need to run a computer with 8 cores / 16 threads, 32 GB of RAM and a power hungry GPU to watch a youtube video or read an email? That’s a complete waste. For me, a RPi 4 with 8GB of RAM running off of an SSD is more than enough for my daily activities, while barely sipping power from the wall. If I want to play a game, I’ll just start up my (currently just hypothetical) gaming PC and get to playing in less than a minute.

Obviously, I understand that a RPi is not for everybody, it can be terribly slow if you don’t use minimalist software like I do (like, try running GNOME Shell or KDE Plasma on it, lol). But again, it doesn’t have to be a Pi. A modern AMD Zen-based Athlon APU or Intel Pentium, with just integrated graphics, would meet the needs of the majority of people. It makes sense to use a powerful computer at all times only if you make heavy use of processor intensive tasks constantly, like say if you’re a programmer and you don’t have a dedicated build server, or if what you do most of the time is video editing or working in CAD software. At that point, changing between monitors and input devices becomes more of a chore and efficiency is lost by letting one computer or the other to idle.

And I’m far from a tree huger, all I care about is saving money from electricity. At some point, I intend to run my Pi and maybe some lights off of solar power and a big battery or supercapacitor bank.

3 Likes

I do get your point totally, its just feels “wrong” to have a PC as a “Windows PC console. :sweat_smile::joy::rofl:. I feel like I have to be adjusted to an ecosystem of linux environment and compartmentalization (the homelab experience). That is coming soon once I setup my stuff.

1 Like

Funny enough, they finally managed to get polkit working: This week in KDE: Finally root file operations in Dolphin – Adventures in Linux and KDE

1 Like

What WHAT?!?

Does it work in Wayland? or is it by design in Wayland that you just never are allowed to do that?

There’s also something about using higher than 8 bits per channel color in Wayland… A step to HDR on Linux?

1 Like

Relevant tweet:

2 Likes