LSI SAS 9207-8i and windows 10

I previously had 5 of the drives directly attached to the motherboard (limit of 6 sata ports on the motherboard, 1 of them being used for optical media) and they were working fine. Does it matter if the drives previously had something on them?

it shouldnt matter. i really suspect this is either a bad port or bad cable. these are the cables i bought for use with my 9207-8i that i just got for a server build

bought 2 of them and all my drives showed up correctly although one bay in the 5.25 to 8x2.5 adapter doesnt like to stay connected. not sure if bad cable there or if its just a bad back plate on the adapter.

1 Like

Those are the ones I ordered off amazon (just because with prime shipping it would get here faster than newegg).

Is there an option like auto spin updrives, enabled? Format option or drive list on the controller? BRB zzz

Sorry, had a power outage (very rare here, so haven’t bothered with a UPS… yet). forums appears to not like JPEG very much either as they usually cache images.

Not really much to add to what Wendell has brought to the table otherwise, I’m afraid :frowning:

No problem, thank you for the help!

Not that I saw. Currently at work but I will check afterwards.

I had a free moment at work, so more pictures of the BIOS https://photos.app.goo.gl/zUZM6GbcSTCLEZ3R6

As you can see there are a bunch of options for the spinup delay or other timings but no “auto spin updrives”. I also did not see any format option or drive list.

Just received the new cables and still the drives are not showing up. Anything else I can do to rule out it being a defective card?

Any strong opinions on using https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Controller-Expansion-Marvell-88SE9215/dp/B082D6XSZN/ ? At this point I just want something plug and play.

the mzhou will bottleneck becauise 8*170 mbyte/sec is greater than 1 gbyte/sec

Theres some people flashing the IBM M1015 into LSI 9211-8i on ebay. You could do one yourself and save some money. Its not super difficult. It roughtly doubles in price if you buy it pre-flashed like this one is.

I flashed my own and they’ve been solid.

ok. Is the LSI 9211-8i going to cause me the same trouble this 9207 has? Or should I just use the motherboard SATA ports and get a small 2 port expansion for PCI-E?

lsi is usually pretty awesome and reliable so, it should be fine?
something makes me think the connectors on that card are broken somehow.

you can mail it to me and I can test it if you want

I think you just got unlucky with a bum card.

Probably a bad port on the card then. The 8i should have two sas ports. Do drives show up if you use the other one??

I bought it off ebay, which listed it as new (https://www.ebay.com/itm/123713611833).

In a last ditch effort I tried using in my super old system (Core 2 quad q6600. Enga nForce 680i SLI). After initializing and telling there were no drives it then would refuse to boot into windows.

@rockking I have tried both ports and with different cables, still nothing.

So at this point I think I will try and return the card (unless @wendell you want to buy it off me for the price I paid). I would also like to send you something as thanks, can you PM your address?

oh if you can return, for sure send back. something suspect about that card or cabling. I don’t get it.

Just got refunded via paypal, but it didn’t say that I needed to return it. If I end up being able to keep it, are you still up for me sending it to you to check it out?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.