LSI 9207-8i on Windows 10

Hi everyone, this is my first post here on L1T so please let me know if I need to do something differently.

I recently acquired a SAS drive and was able to figure out I need a controller and special cables to read it, but now that I’ve got it set up, I’m stuck.

I have this LSI 9207-8i from LANPAN on Amazon and a Seagate ST1000NM0085 hard drive installed in my OptiPlex 7040 (c. 2018) running Windows 10 Pro.

The PCIe card and HDD are listed in device manager and the HDD is in disk management, but when I right click to initialize the drive, the button to initialize is grayed out and there is a button below named offline, and clicking that gives me a “device not ready” pop-up.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve read that there are different types of breakout cables but I’m not sure which I need or which I have.

Hi Stirner, I checked and am sure it’s a SAS drive.