Low-latency, OS-agnostic remote desktop?

My main workstation is a Threadripper pro. I have Windows installed as the OS, and then a few small Linux VMs for different projects I am working on.

I’d really like to relocate the workstation to the server rack and installed some kind of hypervisor, and then just access the various VMs with some kind of a thin client or just use my laptop. The server rack is too far from the office, so really long video/USB cables are out.

I am quite sure that if you installed something like Proxmox then you could get a spice connection on your “thin clients” to the host… whether or not this is performant enough for your use case is unclear.

You could look at rustdesk and self host your own server as a docker… I have found it to be pretty performant and nothing is routed outside my lan

Sunshine and Moonlight are designed for gaming so will be low latency enough for you.

How far is “too far”? I’ve tried going down the rabbit hole, and found really long displayport cables to work best. But I like my desktop to run at 144hz.

60+ feet?

No problem. Ironically the usb bit is flakier than the display. I’ve got a bunch of ruipro cables I use. Most of mine are 50’s, but I’ve got at least one 75/100.
But this really does depend on how low latency/high refresh rate you care about.