Low Cost USB 3.2 protocol analyzers

Does anyone know of any low-cost USB 3.2 packet sniffers, preferably with USB-C support? I don’t need Power Delivery checks, just basic protocol observance. I’m developing a custom USB gadget for embedded Linux (customized Android ROM, in particular) while also learning USB gadget development at the same time. I would love to be able to sample real packets for learning and debugging purposes.

I am aware of units from LeCroy, but given that they can cost about anywhere from the same as a kitted-out gaming PC to the same as a used car, I want to know if there are any cheaper options.

@wendell What did you use for testing and debugging the KVMs?

have you tried wireshark? wireshark isn’t a bad place to start…

I will be using Wireshark, but, I’d love to have someway to look at what’s going through the wire before it hits the OS kernel. I’m new to this, and setting up USB on Linux, even if the majority of the driver is in userspace, still requires use of kernel space to set up the bus. I’m afraid that any mis-configuration of the bus on the part of my custom gadget driver would be reflected on the wire, which I expect would be hard to catch unless I am looking at what’s on the wire.

Also, if you haven’t ever looked at making custom USB gadgets with embedded Linux, it’s kinda fun. But, to do so, you are better off using something called a dual-role USB controller (easier to get your hands on, doesn’t take up a PCIe slot, etc.). Tons of phones have one, as does the Steam Deck. That’s my test device.

R&S RTO6 with RTO6-K570 would also work, price is in the “good car” range too.

Maybe you can find an FPGA-dev board with USB host-connections so you can mirror the USB traffic to some other device.

CrowdSupply dot com Cynthion new product for USB 2.0 debugging, testing
www . crowdsupply . com /great-scott-gadgets/cynthion
$150-$200 cost. Would be good to look at for your 2.0 needs. Maybe one of the FPGA boards can work with your USB 3.2 needs.