Looking to upgrade my homeserver as i am doing more, can this $1500 xeon system be suitable?

Hi, i am looking to upgrade my home server that i use for downloads, scraping, learnign, etc from my old 3gen intel laptop to something with more ram and capable of running GPU accelerated tasks.

The reason behind the need to change is CPU (i had 2cores with HT) and the ddr3 SODIMM RAM that i can’t find a way to upgrade. i looked for ram everywhere i can and nothing available is larger than 4Gb which wouldn’t help me. I am also looking to getting better drives as mine are the same form where i actually bought my laptop.

I found on fb marketplace a full Unit with a Xeon W2123 a 4core 8threads processor from 2017 in a prebuilt dell chassi (precision 5820) with 4, presumably hotswappable, driver bays.
It also comes with 64 GB of DDR 4 Ram (presumably 2133MHz)
a Quadro P2000 5GB
and 3Tb of built in SSD storage, i assume SATA ssds

The price is about $1550 US, It’s a steep price but seeing the spec i wanted to know if this can fit my needs. How much power would draw at idle, the CPU has a TDP of 120W and the powersupply is rated at 950W, but that’s max power.
I also want to ask about the CPU, how much can those 4 cores do or is it better for me to look to a newer architecture with more P and E cores.

That depends on how much your tasks matter. Most of them can get by on a fairly inexpensive system, but GPU tasks (assuming you mean AI and/or mining) require a fair bit of CPU capability to prevent bottlenecking the GPU’s. Although nice-to-have, I doubt you really need IPMI that the Xeon system has build in, so I’d suggest a low power AMD Ryzen system instead. Those are not only cheaper to build, but also cheaper to operate as their power consumption is lower with a higher core count and much better efficiency. Suggestions to start you off on your quest:

AMD B550 mainboard (60-80 USD)
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X CPU with boxed cooler (120-150 USD)
2x 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (35-40USD each)
Standard ATX/m-ATX case that fits your needs
650W PSU, suffices for 1 mid-range GPU, if you need more, increase PSU power rating (80-ish USD)
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (50-ish USD)
2x 8TB HDD for storage (hunt for deals)
nVidia 1050 GPU to get you started (also hunt for deals)

Strictly speaking, as a server you don’t need a GPU, but the above system doesn’t boot without one. So insert the lowest range supported GPU in the system, it’s useful for fixing boot- or other failures anyway.

HTH!

1 Like

@Dutch_Master Thaks for th suggession, i was thinking of that already but, it would actually take me a long time to get that built seeing the availability of parts is not always convinient.

But i ma putting that as my immediate second option if i can’t get soemthing that sweetly fits my needs. As for my GPU tasks it’s mostly AI and running local models and apps using them.

The IPMI seems to be a management interface support, i don’t know much about it and if it is useful to be supported by the GPU, but if it would help me monitor my ssytem when i am away i wouldn’t really mind it.

Can always purchase such desired parts, whenever they are available [New/used alike]
Can even get floor components, to get main package running, before fully converting
[exs. Ryzen 2600_ w/ stock Wraith HS, basic jedec ram kit, RX550,…]

IPMI would work off a simpler interface, compared to fully fleshed OS GUI
[Typically would operate, off its own embedded GPU]
Mainly a means of assessing and handling system/component health + system events [remotely]
Should IPMI be a growing priority, ASRock did make some AM4 variant boards with it
The price does spike upp [but perks inc. ECC Ram support + has a DEBUG panel]

That’s quite a common set of use cases around here.

The Xeon W2123 is a 7 year old design that was officially discontinued at the end of 2023.
In 2024, 4 cores is very much on the low side for any CPU. RAM support stops at DDR4-2666, which is very much on the low end. It only supports PCIe Gen3.
On the positive side, it has 4 mem channels and supports 48 lanes.
IMHO the PCIe expandability is the only redeeming capability - make sure the motherboard actually exposes these lanes in a usable manner (nvme slots, full length PCIe slots) - otherwise I would not see the reason to pay any money for it.

This system is what Wendell in one of his recent videos called trash.

This price seems outrageous to me.

I feel you should be able to find a barebone systems with newer gen cores, more cores, faster memory, more PCIe lanes, newer gen PCIe for much less money.

An example of what I am talking about is this:

AMD EPYC 7502P, 32 Cores, 128 lanes PCIe Gen4, 8 memory channels
8x sticks of 16GB RAM for a total of 128GB
For a total of $1180, which leaves room to find a suitable chassis.

Please note, that this offering is located in China, presumably on a different continent from where you live, I have no opinion on reliability of seller, etc.
So, this needs to be weighed against a random offering from FB marketplace.

However, arguably, this is too much computer for a home lab.
Maybe for the power savings stick to the ideas outlined by @Dutch_Master. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jode
Thanks for the info, i also found it a bit high on the price. i tried to haggle with teh seller and he mentioned that these systems are still sold by dell for higher prices and he refused to back from the price.

I am looking at antoehr “gaming” system with a 5600x 16GB 3337Mhz and an rtx 4060 for about $580 USD, seems like the right thing if i could turn off the forced RGB hh.

the 4060 should be enough for any AI tasks i would send to it.

My next thing to optimize is the idle power, i did follow some videos taking acbout c states but i don’t know if that’s possible on this MB (Gigabyte A520M-K V2)

1 Like