Looking to upgrade my home NAS from a HPE MicroServer Gen8, need guidance and suggestions!

Hi,

I am currently using a HPE MicroServer Gen8 with 16GB ECC ram and a upgraded CPU (Xeon CPU E3-1265L V2) which is running Unraid. I’ve been using this as my “homelab” server while acting NAS for media files and other stuff as well. It currently has 28TB usable storage which is enough for now, although i would like to have the option to increase this further in the future.

I have been looking at upgrading this box or maybe even entirely replacing it for a Truenas Scale build. But i need help in picking out parts.

I have two computer chassis laying around at home:

Which one of these would be suitable for a NAS?

What about other parts such as CPU architecture and RAM/RAID cards etc?

To be clear i don’t need anything much more powerful than i already have, it has been serving me just fine. I’m not interested in any rack servers as well, as i don’t have space or wife approval to run these machines at home. Something a touch more powerful, with more expansion for storage while staying somewhat power efficient would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT 1:
Upon further investigation, it seems that the Corsair obsidian 650D might be a good choice, it has 6 3.5" HDD slots and 4 5.25" slots which can be converted to 3.5" HDD slots as well - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HLZXH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t0n9Bb185YD2H?th=1

So 10 HDD slots seems pretty good right?

Look for “Logic Case SC-H300” which would put three 3.5" disks in two 5.25" bays, allowing you extra drives. (“Logic Case SC-H500” is the search term for a five-in-three adapter.)

K3n.

1 Like

I just replaced my HP mini Gen8 with a Fractal Node 804, bought a used ryzen 7 3700X cpu ASrock mb and some ecc ram, already had a spare PSU and cooler. It’s nice and quiet, can fit in loads of drives but it is quite a bit larger. If you don’t need anything that powerful look into a used mb with something like a gen 10 core i5, a LSI 9205-8i based HBA in IT mode and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

That looks exactly like what i want, thank you!

Interesting, that case looks perfect for my current housing situation (apartment).

Thank you!